Surfers Paradise Baseball Club
|League||Greater Brisbane League (Southside)|
|Ballpark||Sir Bruce Small Park "BenowaDome"|
|League championships||1987, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2011|
|Colors||Blue and white|
The Surfers Paradise Baseball Club is a baseball club based on the Gold Coast in Queensland, that participates in the Greater Brisbane League, Gold Coast and Far North Coast competitions. The club was also host of the 2008 Pan Pacific Masters Games.
John Carpenter, Mitch Wikum and Steve Meeham founded Surfers Paradise Baseball Club in 1987. That year the club entered three teams in the Brisbane metropolitan competition, and in their first season won the A-Grade title. This was achieved through the assistance of ex-Claxton Shield players from other states including: Larry Montgomery (NSW), Gary Coward (SA), Lance Wegner (VIC), as well as other quality players from around the Gold Coast and Brisbane region.
The idea for a junior competition on the Gold Coast, or at least Surfers Paradise, was initiated by Steve Meeham who advertised in the local paper for junior players. With mixed responses from players of all age groups, the competition attracted 60 kids between the ages of 10 and 14 years plus one father - Gary Edwards. With Gary’s help, Steve split up the children into 5 equal sides, and rolled out a competition on Saturday mornings.
The five junior sides - Giants, Dodgers, Dragons, Reds and Sharks – attracted great success in the ‘88 to ‘89 season, and by the ‘89 to ‘90 season the number of kids playing baseball at Surfers Paradise had doubled. By the start of the ‘90 to ‘91 season, there was an abundance of young players with not enough coaches to manage them so the competition was forced to expand and teams were created in the areas where the kids lived such as Runaway Bay, Nerang and Palm Beach.
The first junior representative players to come from Surfers Paradise were Brandon Pollard, Trent Durrington, Shane Edwards and Adam Wardrop. All four boys were selected in the QLD U/16's squad in 1990 with each of them progressing to more senior representative teams over the years including National and Junior selection, as well as Australian Senior team selection for Trent and Brandon. Trent now runs a Training With the Pro's program out of the club every year in December.
- GBL Major League Ladder
- Masters Games 2008
- [Killoran, M. (4 November 2008). Former top US player pitching in. Gold Coast Bulletin.
- Galliott, E. J. (2 November 2008). Japanese return for Masters glory and fun. Gold Coast Bulletin.
- Gold Coast History, Gold Coast Bulletin
- Williams, J. (10 February 2007). Benowa big leagues. Benowa Garden News, p.4.
- Surfers History
- Gold Coast Baseball Association
- [Mahoney, D. (16 November 2008). Mudgee hot for Redsox. Mudgee Guardian, p.45.
- Trent Durrington School of Baseball
- Padres Retain Commissioners Shield
- Surfers Website
- Surfers Paradise end of year results - Courier Mail
- O'Neill, R (27 November 2008.) Hawks lack edge Albert & Logan News
- Fielmich, L (3 November 2008.) Masters baseball throws Brassington a slow ball. Gold Coast Bulletin