Looking up at the Surfrider from the Extreme H2O Zone
|Wet'n'Wild Gold Coast|
|Opening date||September 2007|
|Type||Steel – Shuttle – Launched|
|Designer||Ing.-Büro Stengel GmbH|
|Model||Half Pipe Roller Coaster|
|Height||30 m (98 ft)|
|Drop||25 m (82 ft)|
|Length||70 m (230 ft)|
|Max vertical angle||90°|
|Capacity||460 riders per hour|
|Height restriction||140 cm (4 ft 7 in)|
|Trains||Single train with a single car. Riders are arranged 6 across in 2 rows for a total of 12 riders per train.|
|Restraint Style||Over the Shoulder Restraints|
|Surfrider at RCDB
Pictures of Surfrider at RCDB
In February 2007, roller coaster parts began arriving in Wet'n'Wild Gold Coast's car park. The Gold Coast Bulletin later reported the ride as being an Intamin Half Pipe roller coaster with an opening date scheduled for the September school holidays. In late April, Wet'n'Wild Gold Coast officially confirmed this report by announcing the Surfrider. After a relatively short construction period, the ride was fully assembled by July 2007. The ride opened in September 2007.
Surfrider was originally planned to be installed at Sea World, a theme park owned by the same company as Wet'n'Wild Gold Coast, Village Roadshow Theme Parks. After purchasing the ride from Intamin, the location where it was to be installed was changed.
Riders are placed in one of two cars on the train which is made to resemble a giant surfboard. Each car is a free-spinning circle that holds six people. The track is essentially a giant, upright U and trains are loaded at the bottom of the U. Linear synchronous motors accelerate the train up both sides of the track. A typical ride lasts for approximately 1 minute.
Several water features were originally included to simulate riding a wave but these are no longer in use.
Surfrider is listed as a seasonal attraction and does not operate in the winter months.
- Avatar Airbender, a similar ride at Nickelodeon Universe
- RC Racer, a similar ride at several Disney parks
- "Wet'n'Wild Coaster". Parkz. 22 February 2007. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- Wilson, Richard (22 February 2007). "Parts arrive for Wet'n'Wild's latest". Parkz. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- Meers, Daniel (2007). "Park's ride revealed". Gold Coast Bulletin.
- Wilson, Richard (25 April 2007). "Surf Rider to debut at Wet'n'Wild Gold Coast". Parkz. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- Wilson, Richard (5 July 2007). "Surfrider". Parkz. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Surfrider (Wet'n'Wild Gold Coast)". Parkz. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- Wilson, Richard (27 September 2007). "Warner Village parks deliver strong results ahead of new attractions". Parkz. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- Jabour, Bridie (27 September 2007). "Giant board takes riders for a spin". Gold Coast Bulletin. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- Wet'n'Wild Gold Coast (22 July 2010). "Surfrider - Wet'n'Wild Gold Coast". MyFun. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- Marden, Duane. "Surfrider (Wet'n'Wild Gold Coast)". Roller Coaster DataBase. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- Wet'n'Wild Gold Coast (2012). "Attraction Maintenance". MyFun. Archived from the original on 9 August 2012. Retrieved 9 August 2012.