Surfside Beach, Texas
|Surfside Beach, Texas|
The entrance sign to Surfside Beach
|Motto: "A coastal community that cares"|
Location of Surfside Beach, Texas
|• Total||2.2 sq mi (5.8 km2)|
|• Land||1.7 sq mi (4.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (1.5 km2)|
|Elevation||7 ft (2 m)|
|• Density||287/sq mi (110.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1369430|
Surfside Beach, also known locally as Surfside, is a city in Brazoria County, Texas, United States, that is situated on the Gulf of Mexico near the city of Freeport. The population was 482 at the 2010 census.
Surfside Beach is located in southern Brazoria County at Coordinates: . It is bordered to the southeast by the Gulf of Mexico and to the southwest by the entrance to Freeport Harbor, across which is the village of Quintana. The Intracoastal Waterway runs through the northwest part of the city, forming the northwest boundary in some places. The Bluewater Highway runs the length of Surfside Beach and continues northeast on Folletts Island 13 miles (21 km) to San Luis Pass and the bridge onto Galveston Island. Texas State Highway 332 begins in Surfside Beach and leads northwest past Freeport 12 miles (19 km) to Lake Jackson.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Surfside Beach has a total area of 2.2 square miles (5.8 km2), of which 1.7 square miles (4.3 km2) is land and 0.58 square miles (1.5 km2), or 25.23%, is water. census 2011
As of the census of 2010, 482 people, 259 households, and 113 families resided in the city. The population density was 427.7 people per square mile (165.5/km²). There were 879 housing units at an average density of 287/sq mi (110.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 93.8% White, 1.7% African American, 1.0% Native American, 1.0% Asian, 0.8% some other race, and 0.8% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 6.6% of the population.
Of the 259 households, 15.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 33.2% were headed by married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 56.4% were not families. About 42.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.8% were someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.86, and the average family size was 2.50.
In the city, the population was distributed as 10.6% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 17.6% from 25 to 44, 48.9% from 45 to 64, and 16.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 50.9 years. For every 100 females, there were 119.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 122.2 males.
For the period 2008–12, the estimated median annual income for a household in the city was $42,656, and for a family was $62,917. Male full-time workers had a median income of $42,692 versus $27,132 for females. The per capita income for the city was $26,328. The population sample was too small for poverty figures to be calculated.
The city is served by Brazosport Independent School District.
- O. A. Fleming Elementary School
- Lanier Middle School
- Freeport Intermediate School
- Brazosport High School
The city is also served by Brazosport College.
The city is served by the Brazoria County Library System.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Surfside Beach city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Surfside Beach city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- "Selected Economic Characteristics: 2008-2012 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates (DP03): Surfside Beach city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- Surfside (Texas) travel guide from Wikivoyage
- City of Surfside Beach official website
- CityofSurfside.com Vacation Resort Activities, Rentals & Tours