Surgeon Bong Dal-hee
|Surgeon Bong Dal-hee|
Promotional poster for Surgeon Bong Dal-hee
|Also known as||Surgeon Bong|
Medical drama |
|Written by||Lee Jung-sun|
|Directed by||Kim Hyung-shik|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||18|
Kim Yang |
60 minutes |
Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 (KST)
|Production company(s)||DSP Media|
|Original network||Seoul Broadcasting System|
|Original release||17 January– 15 March 2007|
|Followed by||Witch Yoo Hee|
Surgeon Bong Dal-hee (Hangul: 외과의사 봉달희; RR: Oegwa Uisa Bong Dal-hui) is a 2007 South Korean medical drama television series starring Lee Yo-won (in the title role), Lee Beom-soo, Kim Min-joon and Oh Yoon-ah. It aired on SBS from January 17 to March 15, 2007 on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 for 18 episodes.
Bong Dal-hee (Lee Yo-won) approaches her life and work with a simple-minded gungho sincerity. She's had frail health since she was a little girl, and after she undergoes heart surgery, Dal-hee decides to pursue her dream of becoming a doctor. She graduates from a little-known medical school in her hometown, the remote island of Ulleungdo, and against all odds, gets accepted into the prestigious Hankook University Hospital residency program in Seoul. Dal-hee is determined to become a cardiothoracic surgeon, all the more so because of her own heart condition. Her old-fashioned name, provincial upbringing and lack of competitiveness mark her as different among the first year residents. She immediately gets on the bad side of Ahn Joong-geun (Lee Beom-soo), a brilliant but extremely strict cardiothoracic surgeon who often gets angry at the mistake-prone Dal-hee. Adding to the negative impression is Dal-hee's friendship with recently divorced general surgeon Lee Geon-wook (Kim Min-joon), who was Joong-geun's rival since their intern years. Geon-wook is attracted to Dal-hee, but he still has lingering feelings for his ex-wife, pediatrician Jo Moon-kyung (Oh Yoon-ah). Geon-wook and Moon-kyung split up after he learned that their six-year-old son was fathered by another man before they married, leaving him feeling betrayed and angry. Meanwhile, as they continue to work together, Joong-geun and Dal-hee grow closer. Called a "troublemaker" by her colleagues but loved by her patients for her compassionate personality, Dal-hee must learn to deal with professional setbacks, tensions on the job, hospital politics, patient deaths, romantic confusion and recurring ill health, on her way to becoming a full-fledged surgeon.
- Lee Yo-won as Bong Dal-hee, 1st year cardiothoracic surgery resident
- Lee Beom-soo as Ahn Joong-geun, cardiothoracic surgeon
- Kim Min-joon as Lee Geon-wook, general surgeon
- Oh Yoon-ah as Jo Moon-kyung, pediatrician
- Kim In-kwon as Park Jae-beom, 1st year general surgery resident
- Choi Yeo-jin as Jo A-ra, 1st year general surgery resident
- Song Jong-ho as Lee Min-woo, cardiothoracic surgery resident
- Kim Hae-sook as Yang Eun-ja, Dal-hee's mother
- Kim Jung-min as Bong Mi-hee, Dal-hee's younger sister
- Baek Seung-hyeon as Kim Hyun-bin, cardiothoracic surgery chief resident
- Jung Wook as Jang Ji-hyuk, general surgery chief resident
- Park Geun-hyung as Lee Hyun-taek, chief of general surgery
- Lee Ki-yeol as Seo Jung-hwan, chief of cardiothoracic surgery
- Kim Seung-wook as Professor Park
- Kim Myung-jin as Professor Jung
- Sung Woo-jin as Instructor Oh
- Jo Myung-woon as surgical intern
- Im Sung-min as Nurse Go
- Jo Ah-ra as Nurse Lee
- Jeon Hye-sang as ER head nurse
- Lee Hyun as Instructor Baek
- Lee Jong-min as Instructor Seo
- Jung Sung-woon as chief of emergency medicine
- Oh Man-seok as Oh Jung-min, Moon-kyung's ex-boyfriend (guest appearance, ep 13-14)
Surgeon Bong Dal-hee was a hit; it recorded average ratings of 22.4% and a peak of 29.3%, and was number one in its timeslot for most of its run (beating the competition Dal-ja's Spring on KBS2 and Goong S on MBC). The series also received several acting, directing and popularity awards.
Awards and nominations
- Best New Director (TV): Kim Hyung-shik
- Most Popular Actor (TV): Lee Beom-soo
- Nomination - Best Actor (TV): Lee Beom-soo
- Top Excellence Award, Actress: Lee Yo-won
- Producer's Award: Lee Beom-soo
- Netizen Popularity Award: Lee Yo-won
- New Star Award: Choi Yeo-jin, Song Jong-ho
- Top 10 Stars: Lee Yo-won, Lee Beom-soo
- Best Couple Award: Lee Yo-won and Lee Beom-soo
- It aired in Vietnam on HTV3 from February 9, 2009.
- "Dr. Drama". The Dong-a Ilbo. 4 January 2007. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- Kim, Tae-jong (15 January 2007). "Prescription for Melodramatized TV". The Korea Times via Hancinema. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- Cho, Chung-un (31 January 2007). "Medical dramas thrill local TV audience". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "2007 Year-end Korean drama awards round-up". Hancinema. 7 January 2008. Retrieved 2013-08-25.