Surgical sealant film
A surgical sealant film is an implantable medical device used during surgery. It is a preformed flexible patch that is applied to supplement sutures and surgical staples to seal tissues and prevent leaks of fluid (including blood and cerebrospinal fluid) and air.
The sealant film is synthetic and incorporates absorbable polymers, including poly(lactide-co-glycolide). The polymeric components impart structural and adhesive properties with the sealing effect achieved by incorporation of a bioadhesive polymer. This forms a covalent bond to primary amines present on the tissue surfaces. In turn this results in the film rapidly becoming effective in providing a form of secondary wound closure.
- Cheng, L; Lau, CK; Parker, G (Oct 14, 2013). "Use of TissuePatch™ sealant film in the management of chyle leak in major neck surgery.". The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery. 52 (1): 87–9. doi:10.1016/j.bjoms.2013.09.007. PMID 24135151.
- Cheng, LH; Hutchison, IL (October 2012). "Thyroid surgery.". The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery. 50 (7): 585–91. doi:10.1016/j.bjoms.2011.11.002. PMID 22192610.
- Ferroli, P; Acerbi, F; Broggi, M; Schiariti, M; Albanese, E; Tringali, G; Franzini, A; Broggi, G (Mar–Apr 2013). "A novel impermeable adhesive membrane to reinforce dural closure: a preliminary retrospective study on 119 consecutive high-risk patients.". World neurosurgery. 79 (3-4): 551–7. doi:10.1016/j.wneu.2011.09.022. PMID 22120260.
- von der Brelie, C; Soehle, M; Clusmann, HR (April 2012). "Intraoperative sealing of dura mater defects with a novel, synthetic, self adhesive patch: application experience in 25 patients.". British journal of neurosurgery. 26 (2): 231–5. doi:10.3109/02688697.2011.619597. PMID 22077588.
- Della Puppa, A; Rossetto, M; Scienza, R (October 2010). "Use of a new absorbable sealing film for preventing postoperative cerebrospinal fluid leaks: remarks on a new approach.". British journal of neurosurgery. 24 (5): 609–11. doi:10.3109/02688697.2010.500413. PMID 20868249.