Surr is played between two teams, each of which needs to have a minimum of four players. A rectangular ground is divided into four equal quadrants. One team gathers in the first quadrant, while the other team gathers along the lines of defence at the borders of the adjoining quadrant.
Surr is organised by a set of tightly defined rules:
- There are two teams in a game. Each game has at least 4 members. Both teams should have an equal number of players.
- Surr is played on a rectangular ground, which is divided into four equal quadrants. Two perpendicular lines of defence run through the middle of the ground, as illustrated in the accompanying picture.
- At the beginning of the game, Team A gathers in the first quadrant, while Team B gathers along the lines of defence bordering the adjoining quadrant.
- The objective of Team A is to enter the other three quadrants without being touched by any player of Team B. The aim of Team B is to stop Team A from doing so by touching them. Any Team A player who gets touched by a Team B player has to step out of the game.
- The surviving Team A players have to enter each quadrant one at a time, and then be together in that quadrant before entering the next quadrant.
- Once all the surviving the Team A players gather in a new quadrant, they shout "Bol Den Goivan Surr!" together.
- If Team A members survive and reach the final quadrant, then Team A wins the game. Otherwise Team B wins.
- "विलुप्त हो गए सावन के खेल सुर्र और सिकड़ी". Jagran (in Hindi). 2014-07-20.
- Jagadish Sahay (2012-06-17). "खत्म होते खलिहान". Dainik Bhaskar (in Hindi).
- "People Are Knowledge - Sur Interview 1". Wikimedia Commons. April 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-14. (oral citation)
- "People Are Knowledge - Sur Interview 2". Wikimedia Commons. April 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-14. (oral citation)