Surra de Bunda
The Surra de Bunda is a dance invented by the group Tequileiras do Funk, from São José dos Campos, São Paulo, Brazil, which involves a female dancer "beating" her buttocks into a man's face. It gained international attention by mid-2010. The phrase Surra de Bunda in Brazilian Portuguese loosely means "butt beat", "butt pounding" or, more accurately, "punishment by ass".
Brazilian Portuguese pronunciation varies wildly from region to region. The double "r" in the word "surra" is pronounced as the English "h" [ˈsuha] in most of Brazil, although in the southernmost states you may hear it as the Spanish "rolled R" [ˈsura]. The "u" in "bunda" is close to the English "oo" [ˈbuŋda] but in the northern half of the country it is combined with the "n" to create a "nasal OO" [ˈbũda]. "De" is pronounced as the "jee" in "jeep" [dʒi] in most of Brazil, but in some places where the "d" is not palatalized, it can be pronounced as "dee" [di].
During the groups' performance, male audience members are invited onto the stage, and will sit down onto a chair placed on the floor of the stage in front of the audience. Bikini-clad dancers will then lap-dance the men, and eventually kneel in front of them with their butts facing the men's. Often the dancers will place their ankles on the man's shoulders so that their legs will be locked onto the men's shoulders. At this point, the dancers will begin to slam the male's face into their butt along with the rhythm of the music playing. By mid-2010, the eyebrow-raising dance began to spread with online videos of the dance, other dancers reportedly adopting it, and clips broadcast on some Brazilian television outlets. The dance was developed with over-the-top humorous intentions.
- Henri Paget (June 1, 2010). "Brazilian 'butt-head' dance becomes online hit". ninemsn. Retrieved June 8, 2010.
- "Butt Fighting: The Violent Dance Craze Continues". Gawker.com. June 7, 2010. Retrieved June 8, 2010.
- "Surra de bunda". VIP (Editora Abril) (in Portuguese). February 8, 2010. Retrieved June 8, 2010.
- Maureen O'Connor (June 6, 2010). "Hot New Dance Craze: Slamming Your Butt Into Someone's Face". Gawker.com. Retrieved June 8, 2010.
- "New Dance Craze: The Surra De Bunda". BuzzFeed. June 1, 2010. Retrieved June 8, 2010.
- Steven Humphrey (May 31, 2010). "Your Memorial Day Dance Craze". The Portland Mercury. Retrieved June 8, 2010.
- "June 7, 2010: Moment of Zen - Surra de Bunda". The Daily Show. June 7, 2010. Retrieved June 8, 2010. (video clip)
- "A nova sensação do momento, Surra de Bunda!". G1 (Organizações Globo) (in Portuguese). June 7, 2010. Retrieved June 8, 2010. (reporting on coverage of the dance by Gawker.com)