|Based on||I Suck at Girls|
by Justin Halpern
|Narrated by||Kevin Rahm|
|Opening theme||"Story of My Life"|
performed by Social Distortion
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||8 (1 unaired)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Picture format||720p (HDTV)|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital 5.1|
|Original release||March 27 – May 8, 2014|
Surviving Jack is an American sitcom that aired as a mid-season replacement on Fox as part of the 2013–14 American television season. On May 8, 2013, Fox placed a thirteen-episode order for the single-camera comedy. The pilot is written by Justin Halpern and Patrick Schumacker, and the series is based on Halpern's autobiographical book I Suck at Girls. On October 25, 2013, the order of episodes was cut to eight, due to scheduling restrictions.
Set in Southern California, in 1991, the series centers on Jack Dunlevy, an ex-military man and no-nonsense guy who becomes a full-time parent when his wife decides to go to law school. He takes an unorthodox approach to keeping his teenagers, Frankie and Rachel, in line.
- Christopher Meloni as Dr. Jack Dunlevy a blunt talking, former military man, now a doctor, who, after many years, is assuming the parent responsibilities now that his wife is going back to law school.
- Rachael Harris as Joanne Dunlevy, a loving wife and mom, who is going back to law school. She longs to have her home be the neighborhood "hangout house."
- Connor Buckley as Frankie Dunlevy, a typical, awkward freshman teenager, who is usually the focus point of all of Jack's parenting mistakes.
- Claudia Lee as Rachel Dunlevy, a super conceited, over confident, super popular senior in high school. She can't stand any of her brother Frankie's friends.
- Kevin Hernandez as George, Frankie's best friend since 2nd grade. He has a huge crush on Rachel.
- Tyler Foden as Mikey, one of Frankie's best friends, who comes from a broken home. This is his second year as a freshman.
- Mell Bowser as Craig
Review aggregation website, Rotten Tomatoes gives Surviving Jack a score of 68% average rating of 6.2 out of 10, based on 28 reviews. Metacritic gives the show a weighted average score of 65 out of 100, based on reviews from 24 critics, indicating "generally favorable" reviews.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|1||"Pilot"||Victor Nelli, Jr.||Justin Halpern & Patrick Schumacker||March 27, 2014||JAC-101||5.15|
|It is a day of firsts for everyone, Frankie's first day of high school, where he finds out Heather Bluemyer knows he exists, Jack's first day of full time parenting, which isn't as cut and dry and simple as he thought. Joanne's first day of law school and she's bogged down with homework. As the week goes on, Jack finds out the sex talk needs to be more than a box of condoms with a post it note, his daughter's letting her boyfriend go to second base, Joanne's second guessing going back to school and Frankie has an embarrassing first kiss moment.|
|2||"Gonna Make You Sweat"||Joe Nussbaum||Jim Brandon & Brian Singleton||April 3, 2014||JAC-107||4.53|
|The boys have reluctantly asked Jack to help get them in shape to try out for Varsity baseball. His training regime includes 5 am water hose drills, shotguns and fake heart attacks, but it gets the results they hope for. Joanne, on her quest to achieve the neighborhood hangout house, catches Rachel making out with a boy who's not Doug.|
|3||"How Do You Talk To An Angel"||Ken Whittingham||Bill Callahan||April 10, 2014||JAC-103||4.32|
|The Homecoming Dance is approaching and Frankie is finding it hard to ask Heather to go with him. Jack blows his one good opportunity with the world's weirdest water break. Other chances result in skipping school, possible bodily harm and school suspension. Rachel's punishment for attending a concert is George and Joanne teaches Jack a lesson in tolerance.|
|4||"Rhythm is a Dancer"||Michael McDonald||Zack Rosenblatt||April 17, 2014||JAC-104||4.29|
|With Frankie finally having a date to Homecoming, Jack and Joanne think they have the house to themselves for an evening, but a ban on grinding at the dance, may interrupt their plans when Rachel decides she's going to protest. The boys meet George's cousin and wonder where he lost in the family gene pool and Frankie sees and opportunity with Heather and takes a chance at love.|
|5||"Something to Talk About"||Roger Kumble||Emily Heller||April 24, 2014||JAC-106||3.89|
|Frankie won Heather over with his grand gesture at the dance, now comes the hard part, keeping her. Joanne's recovery from surgery isn't going as calmly as he'd liked so it has Jack tossing everyone into the pool. Mikey and George are on a quest to acquire the elusive "Casablanca" video tape in the Dunlevy household.|
|6||"She Drives Me Crazy"||John Putch||Corinne Marshall||May 1, 2014||JAC-108||3.92|
|Joanne learns Frankie's outgrowing their annual mother/son weekends away. Rachel thinks she's found a loop hole in her college prep requirements with her parents, by joining the wrestling team. Jack is on a mission to break Mikey and George's habit of coming into the house whenever they please without knocking.|
|7||"Parents Just Don't Understand"||Michael Weaver||Sierra Teller Ornelas||May 8, 2014||JAC-105||4.00|
|8||"Smells Like Teen Spirit"||James Hayman||Justin Halpern & Patrick Schumacker||September 24, 2014 (NZ)|
- This viewership number represents the number of New Zealand viewers. The episode didn't air in the United States.
- "FOX Announces Primetime Slate for 2013-2014 Season". The Futon Critic. May 13, 2013. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Rose, Lacey; Goldberg, Lesley (May 8, 2013). "Fox Comedy Series Orders: Chris Meloni Entry, 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine,' 'Enlisted,' 'Us & Them'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Abrams, Natalie (May 8, 2013). "Fox Orders Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Enlisted, Us & Them and Surviving Jack". TV Guide. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 8, 2013). "Fox Picks Up Andy Samberg & Chris Meloni Comedies, 'Us & Them' And 'Enlisted', Almost Doubles New Series Volume". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 25, 2013). "Fox's 'Surviving Jack' Gets Post 'American Idol' Slot, Order Trimmed To 8 Episodes, 'Dads' Expected To Get Back Order". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 7, 2013). "'Dads' 'Enlisted' and 'Surviving Jack' Canceled by FOX After First Season". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- "Surviving Jack: Season 1 (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- "Surviving Jack Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 28, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Hell's Kitchen', 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland', 'The Vampire Diaries' & 'Grey's Anatomy Adjusted Up + Final NCAA Basketball Ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (April 4, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Big Bang Theory', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Scandal' & 'Hell's Kitchen' Adjusted Up; 'American Idol', 'The Millers', 'The Crazy Ones' & 'Elementary' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 11, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Community', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Shark Tank', 'The Big Bang Theory' & 'American Idol' Adjusted Up; 'The Millers' & 'Elementary ' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (April 18, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Grey's Anatomy' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 18, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 25, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Big Bang Theory' & 'The Vampire Diaries' Adjusted Up; 'The Millers' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 25, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 2, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Vampire Diaries' & 'The Big Bang Theory' Adjusted Up; 'The Millers' & 'Bad Teacher' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 9, 2014). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Grey's Anatomy', 'The Big Bang Theory' & 'Black Box' Adjusted Up; 'The Millers' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 9, 2014.
- [dead link]
- "TV RATINGS: 24 SEPTEMBER 2014". Throng. September 25, 2015. Retrieved June 27, 2015.