Surviving U.S. veterans of World War II
There were 16,112,566 members of the United States Armed Forces during World War II. There were 291,557 battle deaths, 113,842 other deaths in service (non-theater), and 670,846 non-mortal woundings. In the Veteran Population Projection Model 2014 (VetPop2014) the Department of Veterans Affairs estimated that 847,419 American veterans from the war were alive on September 30, 2015.
Medal of Honor recipients
During this conflict 464 United States military personnel received the Medal of Honor, 266 of them posthumously. Additionally, the only Medal of Honor recipient in the history of the United States Coast Guard, Douglas Albert Munro, received the Medal for his actions during this war. There are currently seven living World War II Medal of Honor recipients.
There are numerous US World War II survivors associations, including American Defenders of Bataan and Corregidor, Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge, United States Submarine Veterans of World War II, Navajo Nation Code Talker Association, and the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society.
Other US wars
- Last surviving United States war veterans
- List of last surviving World War I veterans by country
- List of surviving veterans of World War II
- Surviving veterans of the Spanish Civil War
- List of Easy Company (506 PIR) veterans
- Texas Military Veteran video Oral Histories - Newton Gresham Library, Sam Houston State University
- "Population Tables: Period Served". United States Department of Veterans Affairs. 2014-09-3. Retrieved 2015-09-30. Check date values in:
- "Medal of Honor Statistics". US Army Center of Military History. Retrieved 2011-03-03.
- "Living Recipients.". Congressional Medal of Honor Society. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Department of Veterans Affairs Statistics at a Glace Pocketcard" (PDF). National Center for Government Analysis and Statistics. 2014-07-11. Retrieved 2014-12-21.
- "Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst Says 1,000 World War II Veterans Die Every Day". Politifact Texas. 2011-06-13. Retrieved 2014-12-21.