Survivor Series (2019)
|Survivor Series (2019)|
|Date||November 24, 2019|
|WWE Network event chronology|
|Survivor Series chronology|
Survivor Series (2019) is an upcoming professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) and WWE Network event, produced by WWE for their Raw, SmackDown, and NXT brands. It will take place on November 24, 2019 at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Illinois. It will be the thirty-third event under the Survivor Series chronology, and the first to feature the NXT brand.
Since the WWE reintroduced the brand extension in 2016, Survivor Series has centered around competition between Raw and SmackDown for brand supremacy. In September 2019, WWE's NXT brand, previously exclusive to the WWE Network, debuted on the USA Network, solidifying its status as WWE's third major brand, and was subsequently added to the 2019 event as part of the brand competition theme.
The show will include matches that result from scripted storylines, where wrestlers portray heroes, villains, or less distinguishable characters in scripted events that build tension and culminate in a wrestling match or series of matches. Results are predetermined by WWE's writers on the Raw, SmackDown, and NXT brands, while storylines are produced on WWE's weekly television shows, Monday Night Raw, Friday Night SmackDown, and NXT.
At Crown Jewel, Brock Lesnar retained the WWE Championship via submission against Cain Velasquez (who was accompanied by Rey Mysterio). Post-match, Lesnar continued to apply the Kimura Lock on Velasquez until Mysterio intervened. Lesnar fended off Mysterio, who retaliated by attacking Lesnar with repeated chair shots, forcing him to retreat. The following night on SmackDown, Lesnar's advocate Paul Heyman announced that Lesnar was quitting SmackDown and moving to Raw in order to seek revenge against Mysterio (taking the WWE Championship with him). On the following Raw, Lesnar proceeded to attack crew members in search of Mysterio, including commentator Dio Maddin, who had defended fellow commentator and WWE Hall of Famer Jerry Lawler after being threatened by Heyman. After Lesnar performed an F-5 on Maddin through the commentator's table, Mysterio appeared and attacked Lesnar with a steel pipe and later issued a challenge to Lesnar for the WWE Championship, which was made official.
On the November 1 episode of SmackDown, after Bayley (who had Sasha Banks in her corner) defeated Nikki Cross to retain the SmackDown Women's Championship thanks to interference from Banks, NXT Women's Champion Shayna Baszler appeared and attacked all three women. During a sit-down interview between Charly Caruso and Raw Women's Champion Becky Lynch on the following Raw, Caruso informed Lynch that she would be facing Baszler and Bayley in a non-title triple threat match at Survivor Series. Baszler then appeared during the interview and confronted Lynch.
On the November 4 episode of Raw, a non-title triple threat tag team match between Raw Tag Team Champions The Viking Raiders (Erik and Ivar), SmackDown Tag Team Champions The Revival (Dash Wilder and Scott Dawson), and NXT Tag Team Champions The Undisputed Era (Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly) was scheduled. However, on the November 8 episode of SmackDown, The New Day's Big E and Kofi Kingston defeated The Revival to win the SmackDown Tag Team Championship, thus replacing them in the match.
On the November 8 episode of SmackDown, Michael Cole announced Sasha Banks as captain for Team SmackDown's women's team at Survivor Series. Later that night, Carmella and Dana Brooke defeated Fire & Desire (Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville) to qualify for the team. On November 14, WWE.com announced Lacey Evans as the fourth member of the SmackDown women's team. On November 17, Nikki Cross was announced to be the final member of SmackDown's women’s team.
On November 8, WWE.com announced that Seth Rollins was selected as the captain for Team Raw's men's team at Survivor Series, with Kevin Owens, Ricochet, Randy Orton, and Drew McIntyre revealed as the other team members during the November 11 episode of Raw. On the November 12 episode of WWE Backstage, Roman Reigns was revealed as the captain for Team SmackDown, with Mustafa Ali (formerly known as Ali), Braun Strowman, King Corbin, and Shorty G also announced for the team.
Backstage during the November 6 episode of NXT, The O.C. (AJ Styles, Luke Gallows, and Karl Anderson) attacked The Undisputed Era's Bobby Fish, Kyle O'Reilly, and Roderick Strong. On the November 11 episode of Raw, a non-title triple threat match between United States Champion AJ Styles, Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura, and North American Champion Roderick Strong was scheduled for Survivor Series.
Backstage during the November 8 episode of SmackDown, as Sami Zayn was trying to convince Daniel Bryan to join his faction, "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt appeared behind Bryan and attacked him with the Mandible Claw. During a "Miz TV" segment the following week, Wyatt (as his normal self) taunted Bryan and his former "Yes Movement" persona. In response, Bryan challenged Wyatt for the Universal Championship at Survivor Series and Wyatt accepted.
- "WWE announces Survivor Series to come to Chicago in 2019". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved November 19, 2018.
- "WARGAMES RETURNING TO WWE NXT | PWInsider.com". www.pwinsider.com. Retrieved March 19, 2019.
- Satin, Ryan (October 31, 2019). "NXT Will Be Part of Survivor Series This Year". Pro Wrestling Sheet. Retrieved November 2, 2019.
- Grabianowski, Ed (2006-01-13). "How Pro Wrestling Works". HowStuffWorks. Discovery Communications. Archived from the original on March 6, 2012. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- "Live & Televised Entertainment". WWE. Archived from the original on March 19, 2012. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- Steinberg, Brian (May 25, 2016). "WWE's 'Smackdown' Will Move To Live Broadcast On USA (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Archived from the original on May 26, 2016. Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- Powell, Jason. "WWE Crown Jewel results: Powell's live review of Brock Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez for the WWE Championship, Seth Rollins vs. Bray Wyatt in a Falls Count Anywhere match for the WWE Universal Championship, Braun Strowman vs. Tyson Fury, Lacey Evans vs. Natalya". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved October 31, 2019.
- Powell, Jason (November 1, 2019). "11/1 WWE Friday Night Smackdown results: Powell's review the show featuring a makeshift crew caused by flight issues in Saudi Arabia following WWE Crown Jewel". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved November 2, 2019.
- Powell, Jason (November 4, 2019). "11/4 WWE Raw Results: Powell's review of WWE Champion Brock Lesnar hunting for Rey Mysterio, Seth Rollins addressing the loss of the WWE Universal Championship to Bray Wyatt, NXT invasion?". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved November 5, 2019.
- Powell, Jason (November 8, 2019). "11/8 WWE Friday Night Smackdown results: Powell's review of Roman Reigns vs. King Corbin, The Revival vs. Big E and Kofi Kingston for the Smackdown Tag Titles, Sasha Banks vs. Nikki Cross, Tyson Fury returns". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved November 9, 2019.
- "Lacey Evans joins Team SmackDown for Survivor Series". WWE. November 14, 2019. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- "Raw, SmackDown and NXT teams to battle in Women's Survivor Series Triple Threat Match". WWE. Retrieved November 17, 2019. Text "November 17, 2019" ignored (help)
- Powell, Jason (November 11, 2019). "11/11 WWE Raw Results: Powell's review of Becky Lynch's show opening promo, Kairi Sane and Asuka defend the Raw Tag Titles, Lana's confession, Seth Rollins on how he'll choose his Survivor Series team". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved November 12, 2019.
- Tedesco, Mike (November 13, 2019). "Participants for Team SmackDown at Survivor Series revealed, updated card". WrestleView. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
- Moore, John (November 6, 2019). "11/6 NXT TV results: Moore's live review of the Damian Priest vs. Pete Dunne, NXT Women's Champion Shayna Baszler vs. Dakota Kai in a non-title match, WarGames developments". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- Powell, Jason (November 15, 2019). "11/15 WWE Friday Night Smackdown results: Powell's review of Big E and Kofi Kingston vs. The Revival for the Smackdown Tag Titles, Daniel Bryan on Miz TV, Bayley vs. Nikki Cross, Mustafa Ali and Shorty G put their Team Smackdown spots on the line vs. Robert Roode and Dolph Ziggler". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved November 16, 2019.
- Wortman, James (November 4, 2019). "WWE Champion Brock Lesnar vs. Rey Mysterio". WWE. Retrieved November 4, 2019.
- Zak, Brad (November 4, 2019). "Raw Women's Champion Becky Lynch vs. SmackDown Women's Champion Bayley vs. NXT Women's Champion Shayna Baszler". WWE. Retrieved November 4, 2019.
- Garretson, Jordan (November 4, 2019). "Raw Tag Team Champions The Viking Raiders vs. SmackDown Tag Team Champions The New Day vs. NXT Tag Team Champions The Undisputed ERA". WWE. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- Garretson, Jordan (November 11, 2019). "Five-Woman Survivor Series Elimination Triple Threat Match". WWE. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- Burdick, Michael (November 11, 2019). "Five-Man Survivor Series Elimination Triple Threat Match". WWE. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- "United States Champion AJ Styles vs. Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura vs. NXT North American Champion Roderick Strong (Triple Threat Match)". WWE. November 11, 2019. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- "Universal Champion "The Fiend"Bray Wyatt vs. Daniel Bryan". WWE. November 15, 2019. Retrieved November 15, 2019.