Susan B. Davidson
Susan B. Davidson
|Alma mater||Cornell University|
|Known for||Databases, Bioinformatics|
|Awards||ACM Fellow (2001)|
|Institutions||University of Pennsylvania|
|Doctoral advisor||Hector Garcia-Molina|
Susan B. Davidson CorrFRSE is an American computer scientist known for work in databases and bioinformatics. She is Weiss Professor of Computer and Information Science at University of Pennsylvania. Her dissertation work on distributed databases included results on statistical and mathematical techniques for data resolution as well as mechanisms to avoid database conflicts.
Davidson has also done research in bioinformatics, where her work (with collaborators) on data integration was commercialized by GeneticXChange. She also serves on the board of the Computing Research Association.
In 1978 Davidson graduated with a B.A. in mathematics from Cornell University. She received M.S.E. and Master of Arts degrees in computer science from Princeton University in 1980 and a Ph.D in computer science from Princeton University in 1982.
Davidson joined the faculty at the University of Pennsylvania as Visiting Assistant Professor (1982), then took up the role of Assistant Professor (1983-1989), Associate Professor (1989-1998), and Professor (1998–present) in the University' Department of Computer and Information Science. From 2008-2013, she was chair of the department. From 2000-2003, she also held a secondary appointment in the university's Genetics Department.
- UPenn Almanac | http://www.upenn.edu/almanac/volumes/v51/n08/weiss.html
- Susan B. Davidson (1982). "An Optimistic Protocol for Partitioned Distributed Database Systems". Princeton University Doctoral Dissertation.
- Peter Buneman; Susan B. Davidson; Kyle Hart; G. Christian Overton & Limsoon Wong (1995). "A Data Transformation System for Biological Data Sources". Proceedings of the 21th [sic] International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB '95).
- geneticXchange Press Release | http://www.evaluategroup.com/Universal/View.aspx?type=Story&id=20509
- ACM Fellow page http://awards.acm.org/award_winners/davidson_2375392.cfm
- "Professor Susan Bridget Davidson CorrFRSE - The Royal Society of Edinburgh". The Royal Society of Edinburgh. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Official website Davidson's webpage at University of Pennsylvania