Susan Bøje Rasmussen|
|Occupation||Author, businesswoman, leadership development|
|Known for||Entrepreneur, Public Speaking, Philanthropy, Cancer Survivor, Miss Universe Denmark, Miss International Friendship|
Susan Binau (née Bøje Rasmussen) born March 15, 1964 in Copenhagen, Denmark, is a global philanthropist, published author, motivational speaker, businesswoman, and cancer survivor. A past Miss Universe Denmark and Miss International Friendship, Binau has since developed resources for families to use when coping with grief and the death or imminent death (hospice care) of a friend or family member.
- 1 Family and education
- 2 Awards and accolades
- 3 Angels Package
- 4 Building awareness
- 5 Cancer survivor and entrepreneur
- 6 Advocate
- 7 Charities for families
- 8 Kids helping kids
- 9 Speaking career
- 10 Author
- 11 Community volunteer contributions
- 12 External links
- 13 References
Family and education
Binau and her sister Helle Bøje Holm, were born to mother Jytte Anna Christiansen and (late) father Peter Bøje Rasmussen. Binau is the mother to four children: Christina Binau Bonnor (born 1988), Malene Binau Bonnor (born 1991), Christian Binau Bonnor (born 1996) and Anders Frederik Binau (born 2004). She married investor and music producer Alan Binau in August 2004. The couple divorced in 2016.
Binau's education includes degrees from Roskilde University, Master in Adult Education and Human Resource Development; Danmarks Pædagogiske Universitet, P.D. (Bachelor) Educational planner, and an Adult Teaching Degree (Aarhus Universitet Danmarks Lærerhøjskole). In addition, Binau completed marketing and leadership training through the Danish Bachelor of Commerce accreditation program, and holds a certification in cognitive behavioral and psychological testing: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Jungian Type Index, Belbin Self Perception Inventory, and Occupational Personality Questionnaires.
Awards and accolades
- USA 2014, 2015: National Association of Professional Women "Woman of the year"
- Canada 2012: Honored as a WOMAN OF ACTION and 'alumna of The World Hub for Women Leaders' By A Celebration of Women, Canada.
- Denmark 2009: Business Award. Danish Minister of Education, Inger Stojberg, awarded the inaugural North Zealand Business Award to Binau’s Company (Vfactor A/S) in recognition of the company's progressive leadership programs for women
- Miss Universe Denmark, 1985
- Miss Friendship, at the 25th International Pageant (Japan, 15 September 1985)
As a result of a cancer diagnosis in October 2006, Binau began to consider other ways that she could put her experience and energy to work to help families of seriously ill patients. She had envisioned how "easy", simple and important it would be to create a "hands on tool" that hospital staff could distribute to terminally ill patients and their loved ones. That vision became a reality when she developed the Angels Package.
When this project began, Binau did not have a budget to work with; she spray painted the first angels in her garage in Florida, then brought the first prototypes with her in a suitcase to Denmark. At this time, her father was dying and Binau arrived just in time to say goodbye. As the first recipient of an Angel Package, he was surrounded by angels and calming music from MusiCure when he died. This loss taught Binau some important lessons that she later described in the national Danish newspaper Søndagsavisen. The life lessons learned through this difficult time were integral to the development of Binau's short publication "Dignity in the final hours" (Vaerdighed I sidste stund).
In the following years, Binau embraced a role as "the voice of the families and children", advocating and participating as much as possible in the media, and on national television and radio to build awareness about the needs and challenges of families facing terminal or serious illness.
After facing serious illness in their own relationship and understanding that sharing their own experience may help other couples with the difficult challenges encountered during the illness of a partner, Binau and her husband Alan Binau co-authored the book Till Sickness Do Us Part - How Love Survives in Difficult Times, published by Gads Forlag.
Addressing the difficult topics of illness, death and dying in her books was a way to create awareness of harmful cultural taboos. Sharing her own experiences and the experiences of her family opened much needed community and international dialog on this topic, ultimately leading to speaking engagements throughout Denmark and beyond. Through these engagements, Binau speaks to patients, patient families, and healthcare professionals to provide motivation, inspiration, and guidance.
Cancer survivor and entrepreneur
During chemotherapy Binau co-founded the company Vfactor A/S with Charlotte Alexandra Pedersen. This was something that Binau and Pederson had planned and discussed for a long time, and they persisted in this work and vision despite the challenges presented by Binau's chemotherapy treatments and recovery from surgery.
Binau is credited with developing new educational concepts including "Value Academy" and "Charter Academy", and building a strong mentor network of CEOs of some of the most prominent Danish companies. Within the first couple of years, the client-base and vast network of Vfactor A/S had grown to include some of Denmark's largest corporations including AP Møller Mærsk and Microsoft. The company also established successful collaborations with notable politicians.
In 2009 Binau made the decision to fully focus on being an advocate for families dealing with terminal illness. In an article written by Amy Patt, Binau emphasized how important it is to share experiences with like-minded people (patients, families, and friends) in order to avoid loneliness and isolation. This concept was the driving motivator behind Binau's success in founding charities on two continents while working with minimal financial resources.
Charities for families
In 2011 Binau founded the Danish charity Landsforeningen Støtte før Afskeden, together with composer Niels Eje. The MusiCure CD sampler included in the patient donation package is an important component. The music consists of soundscapes which use a scientifically based method to induce calm and soothing therapeutic effects in listeners.
Also in 2011, Binau founded USA-based AngelKIT Foundation.
Previously, Binau founded and managed another charity, the Female Courage Foundation.
Kids helping kids
In 2013, Binau's nine-year-old son Andy (Anders) handed her a book called Max the Super Dog's Pet Shop Adventures. Andy said that he wanted to give his mother a helping hand: "My mother had created a book about cancer for the adults in the hospitals. So I thought that there was a lack of a book for children, who must lose one they care about, and then I started to do it." This booklet, about a 'superpup', was created as an activity book to be given as a gift for hospitalized children. It later became an important part of a donation program, the AngelKID Heart Package (HJERTEPAKKE package), for children who have a terminally ill relative.
The AngelKID package program was launched through the Danish Charity founded by Binau, Landsforeningen Støtte Før Afskeden (National Association for Support Before Parting). The launch was publicized during a national bus campaign and on national television, with Ambassador Cecilie Lind (age 25) and her sister Fiona (age 9), sisters who lost their mother in 2012 after a short battle with cancer. The book Max the Super Dog's Adventures and Heart Package Donations were further publicized by Susan and Andy Binau during a fall 2014 campaign in Denmark.
Heart Packages (Hjertepakken, Danish) have been donated to over 1000 children.
The project received support from several large foundations including Harboefonden, Tømrerhandler Johannes Fog Fonden, Fonden Brand af 1849], Møenbrogaard Fonden, and OLE KIRKS FOND, a Danish charity named after the founder of Lego, Ole Kirk.
In 2012, Binau partnered with Danish Actor Christian Heldbo Wienborg to begin fundraising and production of an international television documentary program designed to demonstrate that discussing, understanding, preparing for, and coping with the death of loved ones is a natural part of life and should not be a cultural taboo.
An experienced speaker, Binau has traveled internationally to share her personal and professional experiences and successes with patients, patient families, healthcare professionals, and other audiences around the globe. Her time is split between homes in the USA and Europe.
- Mor Må Jeg Få Din Pc, Hvis Du Dør? - Susan Binau, Alan Binau
- Til sygdom os skiller E-bog│Sådan overlever kærligheden, når det er svært
- Mor, Mor må jeg få din pc, hvis du dør?- stemmer fra en sygdomsramt familie (2nd edition), Forlaget Indblik, 2012
- LØVEN OG MARGUERITRUTEN – FIND DIN NETVÆRKSSTIL. Find your networking style, Ceoneo Books, 2008 
- En værdig afsked - bogen om døden, MD Klara Balling and Susan Binau. Morpho Publishing, 2009 
The Caring Soul Series is a collection of three inspirational self-help books, which are based on true stories and focus on people dealing with challenging life experiences ranging from serious illness through death and grieving.
- Mommy, Can I Call You In Heaven?: How we coped with cancer as a family
- Till sickness do us part–how love survives difficult times, Gads Forlag, 2009
- The Art of Dying - writing your own final chapter
The books in the Super Dog Zam Grief series offer families with grieving children a self-help tool to use at home. The workbooks were developed specifically for three different age groups: 3-5, 6-8, and 9–12 years. The books were co-authored by Binau's youngest son, Andy Binau (creator of The Super Dog ZAM and author of My Doggy Diary), and daughter, Malene Shak (a certified Montessori teacher).
- The Parent's Guide - how to support your grieving child
- The Super Dog ZAM ages 3-5: A helping paw for grieving children
- The Super Dog ZAM ages 6-8: a helping pal for grieving children
- The Super Dog ZAM ages 9-12: A companion for grieving children
- A dignified passing - an inspirational booklet for relatives of a terminally ill or dying patient, Landsforeningen Stoette for Afskeden, 2013
Community volunteer contributions
- Florida Hospital Hospice
- Commissioned Stephen Minister, Presbyterian Church (Celebration, Florida)
- Community Hope Center serving the homeless of Osceola County, Florida
- Co-facilitator of a grief group for children, "Grief Healing for Kids", Presbyterian Church (Celebration, Florida)
- Susan Binau (personal)
- Landsforeningen Støtte før Afskeden
- Community Hope Center of Osceola County, Florida
- Florida Hospital Hospice Care, Stephen Ministries
- A Celebration of Women
- Gads Forlag (publisher)
- Author bio at Amazon
- Richter, Patricia (4 May 2010). "Velkommen til en verden uden grænser og begrænsninger!" [Welcome to a world without borders and limits !]. Karriere Mor (in Danish). Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "A Celebration of Women "Woman of Action (TM)": Susan Binau". 14 July 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Susan Binau". www.napw.com. National Association of Professional Women. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "National Association of Professional Women Announces Susan Binau, M.A., B.A., Founder / President at Soul Care Group, LLC, a 2015 Professional Woman of the Year". virtual-strategy magazine. Garden City, NY. Feb 3, 2015. Retrieved Feb 22, 2015.
- "A Celebration of Women, Global Advocacy for Women Leaders". acelebrationofwomen.org. 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Timm, Morten (27 November 2009). "Hørsholmfirma hædret med ny erhvervspris: Vfactors to stiftere, Charlotte Pedersen og Susan Binau, fik overrakt den første 'Nordsjællands Erhvervspris 2009' af beskæftigelses- og ligestillingsminister Inger Støjberg" [Hørsholm Company honored with new business award: Vfactors two founders, Charlotte Pedersen and Susan Binau, were presented with the first 'North Zealand Business Award' for Employment and Equal Opportunities by Inger Støjberg]. Ugebladet -en del af lokalavisen.dk (in Danish). Denmark. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Historical List of Miss Denmark Winners of All Time". Mr & Miss Denmark. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Kristensen, Pernille (16 April 2009). "Ny bog gør op med dødens tabu" [New Book Confronts Death Taboo]. Villabyerne -en dal aflokalavisen.dk (in Danish). Denmark. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Nyheder, DN (22 February 2013). "Ny hjælpepakke skal sikre mere plads til patienter" [New Rescue Package]. World News Network (wn.com) (in Danish). Denmark. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Nielsen, Thomas (21 June 2013). "Jeg hviskede, at han skulle give slip" [I whispered that he should let go]. Søndagsavisen (in Danish). Denmark. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Binau, Susan. Dignity in the final hours (English edition) (PDF). Denmark. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Binau, Susan (interviewee) (6 June 2011). Angel Kit (video) (video, television news interview). Denmark. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Binau, Susan; Binau, Alan; Anderson, Grethe (interviewees) (2009). Sygdommens og sorgens sprog Tro og eksistens [The language of disease & sorrow. Faith & existence.] (audio) (in Danish). Denmark: DR (broadcaster). Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Kræft tvang par ud i kamp for kærligheden" [Cancer forced the family to battle for love]. Jyllands-Posten. Denmark. 23 September 2009. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "Parforholdet skranter, når den ene bliver syg" [Relationships can suffer when a spouse becomes ill]. Politiken (in Danish). Denmark. 20 September 2009. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- Blankholm, Ulle Oppermann (2013-03-01). "Stor lykke at vågne om morgenen - Charlotte Alexandra Pedersen". www.jobindex.dk. JobIndex A/S. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Bucchave, Gerd (14 January 2009). "Første lederuddannelse for kvinder" [The First Leadership Training For Women]. Borsen.dk (in Danish). Denmark. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Kvindelige ledere = balance = vækst. Hvordan kan man få flere kvindelige ledere?" ["Female Leaders = Balance = Growth. How can we develop more female leaders?"] (PDF). cbaf.dk. cbaf.dk. 20 January 2009. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- Forstholm, Iben (7 December 2010). "Skatteminister besøgte en af virkelighedens helte" [Taxation minister visited one of the real heroes (Vfactor A/S)]. Lokalavisen.dk (in Danish). Denmark. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- Patt, Amy (20 August 2013). "EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH SUSAN BINAU, FOUNDER, ANGEL CARE FAMILY FOUNDATION". CBP International Magazine. Archived from the original on 23 August 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Døden er det sidste tabu [Death is the last taboo]". Angel Kit Foundation. 19 May 2011. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Landsforeningen Støtte Før Afskeden" [National Association for Support Before Parting]. 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Ny landsforening: Dø med værdighed" [New National Association: Dying with dignity]. Ugebladet -en del af lokalavisen.dk (in Danish). Denmark. 5 July 2011. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Nilsson, Ulrica (2009). "The effect of music intervention in stress response to cardiac surgery in a randomized clinical trial". Heart & Lung: the Journal of Acute and Critical Care. 38 (3): 201–7. doi:10.1016/j.hrtlng.2008.07.008. PMID 19486788.
- Nilsson, Stefan; Kokinsky, Eva; Nilsson, Ulrica; Sidenvall, Birgitta; Enskär, Karin (2009). "School-aged children's experiences of postoperative music medicine on pain, distress, and anxiety". Pediatric Anesthesia. 19 (12): 1184–90. doi:10.1111/j.1460-9592.2009.03180.x. PMID 19863741.
- Weeks, Birgit P.; Nilsson, Ulrica (2010). "Music interventions in patients during coronary angiographic procedures: A randomized controlled study of the effect on patients' anxiety and well-being". European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. doi:10.1016/j.ejcnurse.2010.07.002.
- Nilsson, Ulrica (2009). "Soothing music can increase oxytocin levels during bed rest after open-heart surgery: a randomised control trial". Journal of Clinical Nursing. 18 (15): 2153–61. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02718.x. PMID 19583647.
- Nilsson, Ulrica; Lindell, Lena; Eriksson, Annika; Kellerth, Thomas (2009). "The effect of music intervention in relation to gender during coronary angiographic procedures: A randomized clinical trial". European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 8 (3): 200–6. doi:10.1016/j.ejcnurse.2009.01.001. PMID 19186107.
- Fredriksson, Ann-Charlotte; Hellström, Leif; Nilsson, Ulrica (2009). "Patients' perception of music versus ordinary sound in a postanaesthesia care unit: A randomised crossover trial". Intensive and Critical Care Nursing. 25 (4): 208–13. doi:10.1016/j.iccn.2009.04.002. PMID 19446459.
- AngelKIT main page, archived from the original on 15 January 2012, retrieved 11 November 2014
- Ramlow, Lars Sandager (20 October 2014). "Ni-årig bag bog til børn der mister" [9 -year-old Anders writes book to help other children]. Ugebladet - en del af lakalavisen.dk (in Danish). Denmark. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- Restrup, Anne Katrine (8 November 2014). "Jeg syntes, at der manglede en bog til børnene om kræft" [I thought that there was a lack of a book for children about cancer]. Kristeligt Dagblad (in Danish). Copenhagen, Denmark. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Hjertepakke-donation til børn" [AngelKID Heart Package Donation for Children]. 11 June 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Susan Binau (2014). Go morgen Danmark: En sakaldt hjertepakke skau nu hjaelpe born med doende foraeldre [Good Morning Denmark: Heart Packages are helping children of dying parents] (video) (in Danish). Denmark. Archived from the original (video) on 8 July 2014. Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- Timm, Mortem (29 October 2014). "9-årige Anders skriver bog for at hjælpe andre børn" [9 -year-old Anders writes book to help other children]. Borsen.dk (in Danish). Denmark. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Hasen, Kamilla Thirstrup (19 June 2014). "Juni 2014: STFA uddeler 1000 Hjertepakker" [June 2014: STFA donates 1000 Heart Packages] (in Danish). Denmark. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Harboefonden – En almen, social fond". www.harboefonden.dk. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- "Fog Fonden". Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- Fonden Brand af 1849
- Møenbrogaard Fonden
- "Ole Kirks fond". www.olekirksfond.dk. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- Hasen, Kamilla Thirstrup (29 September 2014). "Ole Kirks Fond støtter med 50.000 kr. til flere Hjertepakker" [Ole Kirk's Lego Foundation Supports 50,000 kr for more HeartPackages] (in Danish). Denmark. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Barfoed, Kasper (Director), Wienborg, Christian Heldbo (Actor) (2006). Tempelriddernes skat [The Lost Treasure of the Knights Templar] (film) (in Danish). Denmark: M&M Productions. ASIN B001HO7KU6.
- Timm, Morten (20 November 2012). "Skuespiller og forfatter bryder tabu om døden: Hørsholm-forfatter Susan Binau og skuespiller Christian Heldbo Wienborg, Hørsholm, går sammen om ny international dokumentarfilm" [Actress and author break the taboo of death: Author Susan Binau and Actor Christian Heldo Wienborg, Horsholm, unite to create a new international documentary]. Ugebladet - en del af lokalavisen.dk (in Danish). Denmark. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Legaard, Carsten (6 June 2011). "Susan Binau taler for frivillige: Susan Binau taler om mod, handlekraft og livspassion på Selmersbo den 8. juni" [Susan Binau speaks for volunteers: Susan Binau talking about courage, vigor and life passion on Selmersbo June 8]. Ugebladet - en del af lokalavisen.dk (in Danish). Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Leaders in Innovative Marketing Strategies, Susan Binau presents "Desire to Inspire"". One Pride Network: Building Bridges Not Walls. JTL Productions. 29 Sep 2013. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Bayer, Claus (16 November 2010). "Temaaften om syg dom og samliv" [Theme night on ill judgment and cohabitation]. Lokalavisen.dk (in Danish). Denmark. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- CeoNeo Books 2008
- "Gads Forlag". gad.dk. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- "Mor, må jeg få din pc, hvis du dør?" [Mummy, can I have your PC, if you die?]. Avisen DK. Denmark. 9 Sep 2008. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Binau, Susan (2012). Mor, Mor må jeg få din pc, hvis du dør?- stemmer fra en sygdomsramt familie (in Danish). Forlaget Indblik. ISBN 978-87-92888-44-0.
- "Find din netværksstil". 15 May 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- Svendsen, Susanne (27 August 2008). "Velkommen i netværkshaven" [Welcome to the network garden]. Jyllands-Posten. Denmark. Archived from the original on 8 August 2014.
- Binau, Susan (2008). Loven og Margutitruten-find din netvarksstil [Find your networking style] (in Danish). Denmark: CeoNeo Books. ISBN 978-87-92348-01-2.
- Binau, Susan; Balling, Klara (2009). En vardig Afsked – bogen om doden [A dignified passing] (in Danish). Denmark: Morpho Publisher. ISBN 978-87-993027-0-3.
- "At sige verden værdigt farvel". 13 April 2009. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- "Mommy, Can I Call You In Heaven?: How we coped with cancer as a family (The Caring Soul Series) (Volume 1): Susan Binau: 9781519305770: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- "Til sygdom os skiller". gad.dk. gads forlag. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- Binau, Susan; Binau, Alan (2009). Til sygdom os skiller [Till sickness do us part] (in Danish). Denmark: Gads Forlag. ISBN 978-87-12-04497-0.
- "The Art of Dying (Caring Soul Series): Susan Binau: 9781518875755: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- results, search (22 January 2016). "The Parent's Guide: How to Support Your Grieving Child". CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. Retrieved 25 September 2018 – via Amazon.
- Binau, Andy Frederik; Shak, Malene; results, search (29 October 2015). "The Super Dog ZAM ages 3-5: A helping paw for grieving children". CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. Retrieved 25 September 2018 – via Amazon.
- "The Super Dog ZAM ages 6-8: a helping pal for grieving children (Volume 4): Andy Frederik Binau: 9781518800122: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- Binau, Susan; Binau, Andy Frederik (28 October 2015). "The Super Dog ZAM ages 9-12: A companion for grieving children". CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. Retrieved 25 September 2018 – via Amazon.
- "Værdighed i sidste stund" [Dignity in the final moment]. bibliotek.dk (in Danish). Denmark. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- ,"Community Presbyterian Church in Celebration Annual Report", 2013
- "Community Presbyterian Church in Celebration Annual Report 2014" (PDF). www.commpres.com. 2014. Retrieved Feb 22, 2015.