Susan E. Alcock
Susan Ellen Alcock is an American archaeologist specialising in survey archaeology and the archaeology of memory in the provinces of the Roman empire. Alcock grew up in Massachusetts and was educated at Yale and the University of Cambridge. She is currently Special Counsel for Institutional Outreach and Engagement and Professor of Classical Archaeology and Classics at the University of Michigan.
Early life and education
From 1979 to 1983, Alcock studied at Yale University, graduating with a summa cum laude Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree with majored in Archaeology and History. She then studied classics at the University of Cambridge, graduating with a first class BA in 1985; as per tradition, this BA was promoted to a Master of Arts (MA Cantab) degree in 1989. She remained at Cambridge to undertake postgraduate research, and completed her Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in 1989 with a doctoral thesis titled "Greek society and the transition to Roman rule".
Alcock served as the Director of the Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World and Professor of Classics at Brown University from January 2006 until 2015. Prior to that, she was the John H. D'Arms Professor of Classical Archaeology at the University of Michigan. She was co-director of the Pylos Regional Archaeological Project in southwestern Greece, then co-director of the Vorotan Project in southern Armenia, and is now director of the Brown University Petra Archaeological Project. In 2000 she was awarded a MacArthur Fellowship.
- Graecia Capta: The Landscapes of Roman Greece (Cambridge 1993)
- (editor with Robin Osborne) Placing the Gods: Sanctuaries and Sacred Space in Ancient Greece (Oxford 1994)
- (editor) The Early Roman Empire in the East (Oxford 1997)
- Archaeologies of the Greek Past: Landscape, Monuments and Memory (Cambridge 2001)
- (edited with John Cherry and Jas Elsner) Pausanias: Travel and Memory in Roman Greece (New York 2001)
- (editor with Terence D'Altroy, Kathleen Morrison and Carla Sinopoli) Empires: Perspectives from History and Archaeology (Cambridge 2001)
- (editor with Ruth Van Dyke) The Archaeology of Memory (Oxford 2003)
- (editor with John Cherry) Side-by-Side Survey: Comparative Regional Analysis in the Mediterranean Region (Oxford 2004)
- (editor with Lauren Talalay) In the Field: The Archaeological Expeditions of the Kelsey Museum of Archaeology (Ann Arbor 2006)
- "CURRICULUM VITAE: Susan E. Alcock" (pdf). College of Literature, Science, and the Arts. University of Michigan. 2015. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- Alcock, Susan Ellen (1988). "Greek society and the transition to Roman rule". E-Thesis Online Service. The British Library. Retrieved 9 July 2016.
- Inventory: News from the Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World Fall/Winter 2015
- Faculty page at Brown
- Brown University Petra Archaeological Project (BUPAP)
- University of Michigan, Special Counsel for Institutional Outreach and Engagement, Office of the President
|This article about an American scientist in academia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about an American archaeologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|