Susan Hinckley Bradley
Susan Hinckley Bradley
|Died||1929 (aged 77–78)|
|Education||School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts|
Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
Leverett Bradley (m. 1879)
Susan Hinckley Greenough Bradley (1851-1929) was an American painter known especially for her water color landscapes and portrait drawings.
Bradley was born Susan Hinckley in Boston, Massachusetts, the daughter of Samuel Lyman Hinckley and Anne Cutler (née Parker) Hinckley (1813–1898). Her paternal grandparents were Jonathan Huntington Lyman and Sophia (née Hinckley) Lyman. Her maternal grandparents were Samuel Dunn Parker and Elizabeth (née Mason) Parker, the daughter of U.S. Senator Jonathan Mason. Her aunt, Sally Outram Lyman, was married to agricultural writer Richard Lamb Allen. Her younger brother was painter Robert Cutler Hinckley. 
She began her art studies in Boston at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, studying with Frederic Crowninshield, and at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philadelphia, as well as with Abbott Thayer, William Merritt Chase ,John Henry Twachtman.and Edward Darley Boit. in Rome.
Her paintings can be found in Harvard University, Harvard Art Museum, Fogg Museum, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at Smith College, Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton, Massachusetts, and in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, as well as in numbers private collections.
She married a minister, Leverett Bradley in 1879 and served as the editor of his Civil War memoir, Leverett Bradley: A Soldier-Boy’s Letters, 1862-1865, A Man’s Work in the Ministry, privately printed in Boston, 1905. She died in Boston in 1929.
- True, Alfred Charles (1927). "Allen, Richard Lamb". Dictionary of American Biography. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons.
- Petteys, Chris, “Dictionary of Women Artists: An international dictionary of women artists born before 1900”, G.K. Hall & Co., Boston, 1985 p. 90
- Opitz, Glenn B, Editor, Mantle Fielding's Dictionary of American Painters, Sculptors & Engravers, Apollo Book, Poughkeepsie NY, 1986, p. 95
- Petteys 1985, p. 90.
- "SIRIS - Smithsonian Institution Research Information System". siris-artinventories.si.edu.
- Nichols, Dr. Kathleen L. "United States Women Painters: 1893 Exposition--page 1". arcadiasystems.org.
- Bradley, Leverett; Bradley, Susan Hinckley (13 August 2018). "Leverett Bradley: A Soldier-boy's Letters, 1862-1865; a Man's Work in the Ministry". Priv. print. – via Google Books.
- "Susan Hinckley Greenough Bradley". AskArt. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- Media related to Susan Hinckley Bradley at Wikimedia Commons