Susan K. Mashiko
Susan K. Mashiko is a retired United States Air Force major general who served as the Deputy Director, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Virginia. Her responsibilities include assisting the director and principal deputy director in managing the strategic and tactical operations of the NRO. Also, as the commander, Air Force Space Command Element, she manages all air force personnel and resources assigned to the NRO and serves as the senior adviser to the DNRO on all military matters. Mashiko is the first Japanese American woman to be promoted to flag rank.
General Mashiko was born in Glendale, California, and entered the air force as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy where she earned a bachelor's degree in aeronautical engineering. Her career has spanned a wide variety of space and acquisition assignments, including chief of the Programs Division in the Office of Special Projects, executive officer to the Department of Defense Space Architect, and Director of the Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle System Program. She has also served as the program executive officer for Environmental Satellites; commander, MILSATCOM Systems Wing; and vice commander, Space and Missile Systems Center. Prior to her current assignment, she was director, space acquisition, Office of the Under Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. Mashiko earned a M.S. in Electrical Engineering in 1986 from the Air Force Institute of Technology.
Major awards and decorations
Her major awards and decorations include:
|Legion of Merit|
|Defense Meritorious Service Medal|
|Meritorious Service Medal|
|Joint Service Commendation Medal|
|Air Force Commendation Medal|
- 1998 John J. Welch Award for Excellence in Acquisition Management, Secretary of the Air Force
- 1998 Strategic Acquisition Reform Award for Contracting Excellence, Secretary of the Air Force
- 1999 David W. Packard Award for Acquisition Excellence, Department of Defense
- 2003 Unit of the Year (Director), Air Force Association
This article contains information from the United States Federal Government and is in the public domain.
Dates of promotion
- Second Lieutenant - May 28, 1980
- First Lieutenant - May 28, 1982
- Captain - May 28, 1984
- Major - Oct 1, 1991
- Lieutenant Colonel - Nov 1, 1996
- Colonel - March 1, 2001
- Brigadier General - September 7, 2006
- Major General - November 20, 2009
- National Reconnaissance Office: Major General Susan K. Mashiko biography
- "BG Susan Mashiko" (PDF). Japanese American Veterans Association Advocate. October 2007: 8.
- "Air Force Link: Major General Susan K. Mashiko biography". Archived from the original on 2012-07-17.
|This biographical article related to the United States Air Force is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|