M.Med Surg (S'pore)
Hon MD (NewC)
|Alma mater||Monash University|
University of Cambridge
Susan Lim was born in Singapore and was educated at Singapore Chinese Girls' School and the Raffles Institution. In 1974 she was awarded a scholarship under the Colombo Plan to study medicine at Monash University in Australia. From 1977, during her studies, she was resident at Trinity College attached to the University of Melbourne.
She graduated from Monash University (MBBS (Hons) 1979).
In 1985 she was awarded the Gulbenkian Scholarship to undertake a PhD at Churchill College, University of Cambridge, which she completed in 1988.
In 1990, she performed Singapore’s first successful liver transplant , and was the second female doctor in the world to perform such a transplant. The patient celebrated her 50th birthday in 2015.
In 2005, she was mentioned in the House of Representatives, Official Hansard (No.17, 2005 Monday 10 October 2005) for her care of the Australian victims of the Bali Bombing incident.
In 2006, She was awarded the Monash University Distinguished Alumnus Award 
In 2007, the University of Newcastle awarded her an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Medicine.
AI, Robotics and the Future of Companionship
Dr Susan Lim communicates her vision for a Future of Companionship, based on loneliness and disruptive new technologies, which gives rise to a whole new breed of companions.
In 2017, she gave an INK talk in Hyderabad, India, in the session "Giant leaps; thrilling potential of AI and Robotics, on the topic of the "Future of Companionship" .
She co-created the Lim Fantasy of Companionship for Piano and Orchestra recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra, London Voices, Pianist Tedd Joselson, at Abbey Road Studios, 19 November 2019.
This orchestral recording was released on 23 April 2021 on the signum records label
- Classical Explorer
- Churchill College Cambridge
- Planet Hugill 29 April 2021
- Planet Hugil 22 February 2021
- Colins Column
In February 2011, the Singapore Medical Council (SMC) presented a case to the Ministry of Health, in which Lim was accused of overcharging one of her patients, the sister of the Queen of Brunei, Pengiran Anak Hajah Damit Pg Pemancha Pg Anak Mohd Alam. The fees were approximately $24 million SGD and were charged for 110 treatment days from January to June 2007.
In August 2012, Lim was convicted of professional misconduct in respect of the overcharging, and was given a 3-year suspension from practising, fined $10,000 SGD and be censured in writing. Lim appealed her sentence and was allowed to continue practising, pending the outcome of the appeal.
On 28 June 2013, the appeal court dismissed her appeal and confirmed the sentence in all respects.
The SMC originally sought $1.33 million from Lim for the legal bills of the courtcase. The Singapore High Court found that the legal bills against her were inflated and reduced the amount from S$1.33 million to S$317,000. The SMC appealed the decision and the courts eventually allowed for $825,000 in legal bills to be claimed from Lim.
- Trade, corporateName= Department of Foreign Affairs and. "Australian High Commission in". singapore.embassy.gov.au.
- "Home". Singapore Chinese Girls' School. Retrieved 5 May 2021.
- "Raffles Institution - a leading Singaporean pre-tertiary institution". www.ri.edu.sg. Retrieved 5 May 2021.
- "Installation of Dr Susan Lim as a Fellow of Trinity College | Dr. Susan Lim | Honored Fellow". web.archive.org. 2 February 2014. Retrieved 5 May 2021.
- "Monash's distinguished alumni named - (Monash Memo, 1 February 2006)". files.monash.edu. Retrieved 5 May 2021.
- "Monash's distinguished alumni named - (Monash Memo, 1 February 2006)". files.monash.edu. Retrieved 4 May 2021.
- "The Dr Susan Lim Cambridge Bursary – Churchill College". www.chu.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 4 May 2021.
- "Singapore's first liver transplant | Infopedia". eresources.nlb.gov.sg. Retrieved 4 May 2021.
- "TRINITYUpdate - August 2004". www2.trinity.unimelb.edu.au. Retrieved 4 May 2021.
- "Trinity College, University of Melbourne". www2.trinity.unimelb.edu.au. Retrieved 4 May 2021.
- Susan Lim (13 June 2016). "Dr. Susan Lim Trinity College". TRINITY Today.
- Dr Susan Lim - Future Companionship - Giant Leaps - INK talk 2017, retrieved 4 May 2021
- "Music, Robotics & AI: Recording the Lim Fantasy of Companionship for Piano and Orchestra". Abbey Road. Retrieved 4 May 2021.
- Hugill, Planet. "Music, robotics, AI: Recording the Lim Fantasy of Companionship for Piano and Orchestra". Retrieved 4 May 2021.
- "Fantasy of Companionship". Classical Explorer. 23 April 2021. Retrieved 4 May 2021.
- "The Fantasy of Companionship by Dr Susan Lim – Churchill College". www.chu.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 4 May 2021.
- Hugill, Planet. "Science Fiction, AI, music and collaborative creation: the Lim Fantasy of Companionship for piano and orchestra". Retrieved 4 May 2021.
- Hugill, Planet. "The Lim Fantasy of Companionship for Piano and Orchestra". Retrieved 4 May 2021.
- "RELEASED TODAY, April 23: Signum Records releases The Lim Fantasy of Companionship for Piano & Orchestra, Tedd Joselson, LSO, Arthur Fagen". Colin's Column. 22 April 2021. Retrieved 4 May 2021.
- "Susan Lim case: Court slashes Singapore Medical Council's cost claims from surgeon". The Straits Times. 1 October 2014.
- "Susan Lim's legal bill rises to $825k as SMC wins appeal". The Straits Times. 14 May 2015.