Susan McFadden at Macquarie Shopping Centre, Sydney, in August 2012
8 February 1983 |
Susan McFadden (born 8 February 1983) is an actress and singer born in Dublin, Ireland. She is best known for playing the roles of Sandy in Grease at the Piccadilly Theatre and Elle Woods in Legally Blonde the Musical at the Savoy theatre in London's West End. She has also been a member of the all female Celtic music group, Celtic Woman, since 2012.
McFadden is a graduate of the Billie Barry Stage School, located in Dublin. Before appearing on Grease is the Word, McFadden toured with many Irish entertainers (including June Rodgers) in supporting roles. She was one of the dancers in Daniel O'Donnell's Rock & Roll Show tour and DVD. She also played the role of Kathy in an Irish production of Singing in the Rain in 2004 to much acclaim. The show played at the Olympia Theatre in Dublin and the Everyman Palace Theatre in Cork.
She is the winning contestant on the ITV reality TV show Grease Is the Word. As a result, she played the lead female role of Sandy in the West End production of Grease with Danny Bayne beginning in August 2007.
In 2008, McFadden recorded two songs for the CD Act One - Songs From The Musicals Of Alexander S. Bermange, an album of 20 brand new recordings by 26 West End stars, released in November 2008 on Dress Circle Records.
She played the lead role of Milly in the stage adaption of Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, with Steven Houghton.
McFadden starred in the original west end cast of the musical Legally Blonde at the Savoy Theatre in London's West End playing Elle Woods after originating the role of Serena. Official reviews and audience reaction were extremely positive. Beginning on 25 October, McFadden became the alternate Elle, performing Mondays and Tuesdays. McFadden began playing the role of Elle Woods full-time beginning 10 January 2011 and left the role on 9 July 2011 and has recently been nominated for a What's on stage award for "best takeover." She was subsequently replaced by former Margot and understudy Elle, Carley Stenson.
On 5 January 2012, McFadden was named as a replacement for Lisa Kelly, then going on maternity leave, in the all female ensemble Celtic Woman. McFadden debuted with Celtic Woman in February at Nashville, Tennessee for the kickoff of the "Believe" North American Tour and continued with the European, Australian, and South African Tours in 2012. After Lisa Kelly announced her departure from the group in January 2013, McFadden became a full-time member of Celtic Woman.
- With Celtic Woman
- Celtic Woman: Emerald - Musical Gems (2014)
- Celtic Woman: O Christmas Tree (2014)
- Celtic Woman Presents Solo (May 2015)
- Celtic Woman: Destiny (2015)
- Celtic Woman: Voices of Angels (2016)
- Other featured performances
- Act One - Songs From The Musicals Of Alexander S. Bermange (November 2008)
- Celtic Woman: Home for Christmas (October 2013)
- Celtic Woman: Emerald - Musical Gems (February 2014)
- Celtic Woman: Destiny (October 2015)
- London's Legally Blonde The Musical Will Welcome New Elle Woods in January
- Murphy, Claire (12 June 2010). "Final showdown on road to Fame". Evening Herald. Retrieved 13 June 2010.
- "New Celtic Woman Announced". Retrieved 7 January 2012.