|Secretary of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment|
December 1, 2014
|Preceded by||Dr. Robert Moser|
|Member of the Kansas House of Representatives
from the 67th district
January 1, 2011 – February 1, 2012
|Preceded by||Tom Hawk|
|Succeeded by||Tom Phillips|
July 10, 1959 |
Manhattan, Kansas, U.S.
|Alma mater||Kansas State University (B.A.)
University of Texas at Austin (M.B.A.)
University of Kansas Medical Center (M.D.)
University of Iowa Health Care, Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
Susan Kay Mosier, M.D. (born July 10, 1959) is the current Secretary of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, since December 2014. On November 13, 2014, Kansas Governor Sam Brownback named Dr. Mosier as the Interim Secretary, replacing Dr. Robert Moser, who stepped down at the end of November. Mosier was a Republican member of the Kansas House of Representatives, representing the 67th district. Her term began in 2011 and she resigned her seat, effective February 1, 2012, to accept the position director of Medicaid in the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.
Mosier is an ophthalmologist and former owner of Mosier Eye Care in Manhattan, Kansas; she closed her practice when appointed Medicaid director for Kansas. She is board certified and has specialties in two areas: eye surgery and refractive surgical procedures.
Mosier sponsored four bills and eleven resolutions in the 2011 session. She sponsored two resolutions in the 2012 session before resigning.
Once Mosier assumed the office of Secretary of KDHE, her name was substituted for Dr. Moser's in the Marie v. Moser case.
Mosier served on four legislative committees in 2011:
- Joint Committee on Heath Policy Oversight
- Health and Human Services
- Financial Institutions
In 2011, she was assigned to the Special Committee on Financial Institutions and Insurance.
Mosier's 2010 campaign was 73% donor-funded and 27% self-funded.
- U.S. Public Records Index Vol 1 (Provo, UT: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.), 2010.
- Susan Mosier named interim secretary of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. November 13, 2014. Retrieved August 12, 2015.
- Brownback appoints Susan Mosier to lead KDHE. December 20, 2014. Retrieved August 12, 2015.
- Riley County GOP to fill House vacancy. January 16, 2012. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- Representative Susan Mosier legislative record, Kansas House of Representatives. Kansas Legislature. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- Campaign Finance Retrieved July 5, 2012.