Susan N. Herman
Susan N. Herman
|President of the American Civil Liberties Union|
October 2008 – January 31, 2021
|Succeeded by||Deborah Archer|
|Born||1947 (age 73–74)|
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
|Education||Barnard College (BA)|
New York University (JD)
Susan N. Herman (born 1947) is an American constitutional law scholar and presided as president of the American Civil Liberties Union from October 2008 to January 2021. Herman has taught at Brooklyn Law School since 1980.
Early life and education
Herman was born in Brooklyn and raised on Long Island. Herman earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in philosophy from Barnard College in 1968 and a Juris Doctor from the New York University School of Law, where she was a note and comment editor for the New York University Law Review.
Herman served as pro se law clerk for the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. She was a staff attorney and later associate director for Prisoners' Legal Services of New York.
Herman teaches constitutional law and criminal procedure, seminars on law and literature, and terrorism and civil liberties, at Brooklyn Law School where she is the inaugural Ruth Bader Ginsburg Professor of Law.
Herman's book Taking Liberties: the War on Terror and the Erosion of American Democracy was published by Oxford University Press in October 2011, and won the 2012 Chicago-Kent College of Law/Roy C. Palmer Civil Liberties Prize.
- "Law professor elected new ACLU president: Susan Herman plans to reach out to African-Americans, religious groups". Associated Press. 2008-10-18. Retrieved 1 December 2009.
- Brosh, Brendan (2008-10-18). "New ACLU president from Brooklyn Law School". New York Daily News. Archived from the original on 9 October 2010. Retrieved 1 December 2009.
- "Professor Susan Herman". AJC.[permanent dead link]
- "Susan N. Herman". American Civil Liberties Union. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- "Herman, Susan". oralhistory.rutgers.edu. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- "Susan N. Herman". Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- Brooklyn Law School
- Herman, Susan (October 3, 2011). Taking Liberties: The War on Terror and the Erosion of American Democracy. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-978254-3.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law; 2012.
- "Susan N. Herman". American Civil Liberties Union. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- "ACLU President: We Didn't Always Have Free Speech". Time. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- September 15, SUSAN N. HERMAN Susan N. Herman is a professor at Brooklyn Law School; Pm, 2005 8:00. "Roberts' pitch more like a curveball". Newsday. Retrieved 2020-02-10.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Susan N. Herman | HuffPost". www.huffpost.com. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- Crain's New York 2019
- NYU Law; 2009
- Herman's profile at the ACLU website
- Susan Herman blog posts, ACLU Blog
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Appearance on "Office Hours" (William and Mary Law Pod Cast) https://soundcloud.com/user-36623013/office-hours-aclu-uncensored