Susan N. Herman
Susan N. Herman
|President of the American Civil Liberties Union|
|Assumed office |
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||Barnard College (BA)|
New York University (JD)
Susan N. Herman (born 1947) is an American constitutional law scholar and, since October of 2008, the president of the American Civil Liberties Union. Herman has taught at Brooklyn Law School since 1980.
Early years and education
Herman was born in Brooklyn and raised on Long Island. Herman earned a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy from Barnard College in 1968. She then earned a Juris Doctor from the New York University School of Law, where she served as note and comment editor for the New York University Law Review.
Herman served as pro se law clerk for the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. She was a staff attorney and later associate director for Prisoners' Legal Services of New York.
Herman currently teaches constitutional law and criminal procedure, seminars on law and literature, and terrorism and civil liberties. She began working for the ACLU as an intern in law school. When she was elected president, Herman was the organization's general counsel and had served on its board for 20 years.
- "Law professor elected new ACLU president: Susan Herman plans to reach out to African-Americans, religious groups". Associated Press. 2008-10-18. Retrieved 1 December 2009.
- Brosh, Brendan (2008-10-18). "New ACLU president from Brooklyn Law School". New York Daily News. Archived from the original on 9 October 2010. Retrieved 1 December 2009.
- "Professor Susan Herman". AJC.[permanent dead link]
- "Susan N. Herman". American Civil Liberties Union. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- "Herman, Susan". oralhistory.rutgers.edu. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- "Susan N. Herman". Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- Herman, Susan (October 3, 2011). Taking Liberties: The War on Terror and the Erosion of American Democracy. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-978254-3.
- "Susan N. Herman". American Civil Liberties Union. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- "ACLU President: We Didn't Always Have Free Speech". Time. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- September 15, SUSAN N. HERMAN Susan N. Herman is a professor at Brooklyn Law School; Pm, 2005 8:00. "Roberts' pitch more like a curveball". Newsday. Retrieved 2020-02-10.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Susan N. Herman | HuffPost". www.huffpost.com. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- Herman's profile at the ACLU website
- Susan Herman blog posts, ACLU Blog
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Appearance on "Office Hours" (William and Mary Law Pod Cast) https://soundcloud.com/user-36623013/office-hours-aclu-uncensored