Susan Paradise Baxter
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania|
Assumed office |
September 10, 2018
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||Sean J. McLaughlin|
|Chief Magistrate Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania|
|Magistrate Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania|
January 20, 1995 – September 10, 2018
|Succeeded by||Richard A. Lanzillo|
Susan Rose Paradise|
September 20, 1956
Latrobe, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Pennsylvania State University (BS)|
Temple University (MEd, JD)
Susan Paradise Baxter (born September 20, 1956) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. She was formerly a United States Magistrate Judge of the same court.
Early life and education
Susan Paradise Baxter was born September 20, 1956, in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. She received her Bachelor of Science from Pennsylvania State University in 1978, her Master of Education from Temple University in 1980, and her Juris Doctor from the Temple University Beasley School of Law in 1983.
She began her practice in Washington, D.C., at the firm of Cole, Raywid and Braverman, now Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, where she became a partner in 1989. Her practice consisted of commercial litigation, antitrust litigation and contracts.
In 1992, she served as the Court Solicitor for the Erie County Court of Common Pleas, representing the judges on the court. Later in 1996, she was elected the Director-At-Large of the Federal Magistrate Judges Association.
Federal judicial service
Magistrate judge tenure
She became a United States Magistrate Judge for the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania on January 20, 1995. She became the Chief Magistrate Judge in June 2005 and served until 2009. Her tenure as a magistrate judge ended on September 10, 2018, when she became a district judge.
District court service
Failed district court nomination under Obama
On July 30, 2015, President Barack Obama nominated Baxter to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, to the seat vacated by Sean J. McLaughlin who resigned on August 16, 2013. She received a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on December 9, 2015. On January 28, 2016, her nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. Her nomination expired on January 3, 2017, with the end of the 114th Congress.
Renomination to district court under Trump
On December 20, 2017, her renomination by President Trump was announced and sent to the Senate. She was again nominated to the seat vacated by Sean J. McLaughlin, who resigned on August 16, 2013. On February 15, 2018, the Senate Judiciary Committee voted to report her nomination by voice vote. On August 28, 2018, her nomination was confirmed by voice vote. She received her judicial commission on September 10, 2018.
In Pennsylvania General Energy Company, LLC v. Grant Township, she found against Grant Township, Pennsylvania and in favor of Pennsylvania General Energy, LLC (PGE) in its claim that the Township's prohibition on injection wells violated the corporation's constitutional rights. The Township was represented by the Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund in the case, which was profiled in Rolling Stone magazine in May 2017.
She is married to Donald L. Baxter Jr. and has two children.
- "Biography and Court Practice Magistrate Judge Susan Paradise Baxter" (PDF). United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 12, 2016. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- "President Obama Nominates Seven to Serve on the United States District Courts" White House, July 30, 2015
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate" White House, July 30, 2015
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for December 9, 2015
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – January 28, 2016, Senate Judiciary Committee
- " President Donald J. Trump Announces Ninth Wave of Judicial Nominees and Tenth Wave of United States Attorney Nominees " White House, December 20, 2017 This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "Eight Nominations Sent to the Senate Today" White House, December 20, 2017
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – February 15, 2018, Senate Judiciary Committee
- "PN1329 — Susan Paradise Baxter — The Judiciary". United States Senate. December 20, 2017. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
- Pennsylvania General Energy Company, Llc v. Grant Township (C.A. No. 14-209ERIE), March 31, 2017, retrieved January 7, 2018
- "Press Release: Federal Court Sanctions Lawyers for Defending Community's Right to Say "No" to Frack Wastewater Injection Wells | CELDF". CELDF. January 5, 2018. Retrieved January 7, 2018.
- "How a Small Town Is Standing Up to Fracking". Rolling Stone. Retrieved January 7, 2018.
- "CELDF – Community Rights Movement Pioneers". CELDF. Retrieved January 7, 2018.
- Susan Paradise Baxter at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
Sean J. McLaughlin
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania