April 25, 1952 |
|Alma mater||Goddard College;
University of Colorado at Boulder
|Notable awards||1982 National Poetry Series|
She received a B.A. from Goddard College and an M.A. from the University of Colorado, and is a Full Professor at George Mason University, where she has taught since 1988 in the MFA and undergraduate programs. For five years she was Executive Producer of Poetry Theater: An Evening of Visual Poetics, and also served as poetry editor for the short-lived but gorgeously produced journal, "'Practice: New Writing + Art," based in the Bay area.
Her work has appeared in AGNI, Beloit Poetry Journal, Cerise Press, Colorado Review, Court Green, CutBank, Denver Quarterly, Fascicle, Free Verse, Hotel Amerika, Indiana Review, Ploughshares, 42opus, Runes, and other journals.
She also lives in the southern Colorado Rockies.
- 1982 National Poetry Series, for The Hands in Exile
- Eugene Kayden Award
- National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship
- Chad Walsh Prize from Beloit Poetry Journal
- Indiana Review Prize for Poetry
- Runes Prize for Poetry
- Quarter After Eight Prize for Innovative Prose
- "VERSARI", Beltway Poetry Quarterly
- A Smell of Burning Starts the Day. Wesleyan University Press. 1988. ISBN 978-0-8195-1154-6.
- The Hands in Exile. Random House. 1983. ISBN 978-0-394-52977-6.
- Bone Pagoda. Ahsahta Press. 2007. ISBN 978-0-916272-91-3.
- Gallowglass. Ahsahta Press. 2010. ISBN 978-1-934103-13-5.
- Trafficke. Ahsahta Press. 2015. ISBN 978-1-934103-60-9.
- William J. Walsh, ed. (2006). Under the rock umbrella: contemporary American poets, 1951-1977. Mercer University Press. ISBN 978-0-88146-047-6.
- Dave Smith, David Bottoms, eds. (1985). The Morrow anthology of younger American poets. Photographer David Bottoms. Quill. ISBN 978-0-688-03450-4.
In Bone Pagoda, Susan Tichy’s third full-length collection of poetry and her first in nearly 20 years, the poet explores the stark and horrifying realities of war and its aftermath through a fierce lyricism, an insistent and bodily music that urges the reader to say these poems aloud.
- Europa Publications (2003). International Who's Who in Poetry 2004. Taylor & Francis Group. p. 323. ISBN 9781857431780. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Susan Tichy | Directory of Writers | Poets & Writers". pw.org. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "AGNI Online: Author Susan Tichy". bu.edu. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "BPJ - Beloit Poetry Journal - Poem by Susan Tichy, Stork". bpj.org. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- Indiana Review. 25. Indiana University Board of Trustees. 2003. ISSN 0738-386X. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "42opus | Adrian Lurssen & Susan Tichy | Dear with Extremes of Thirst and Pain". 42opus.com. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "R A I N T A X I o n l i n e Summer 2007". Archived from the original on 2007-07-01. Retrieved 2015-04-03.