Susanna J. Coffey (born 1949) is an American artist who was born in New London, Connecticut. She received a Bachelor of Fine Art degree Magna Cum Laude from the University of Connecticut at Storrs, Connecticut in 1977 and a Master of Fine Arts degree from the Yale School of Art in 1982. She is the F. H. Sellers Professor in Painting at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and currently lives and works in New York City. She was elected into the National Academy of Design in 1999.
Coffey is best known for her paintings of heads―often self-portraits, such as her Self Portrait [Versace [Canal] Scarf] in the collection of the Honolulu Museum of Art. Like many of her paintings, this 1996 self-portrait is a frontal view, lit from behind. The Akron Art Museum in Akron, Ohio, Yale University Art Gallery, the Danforth Art Museum in Framingham MA, the Art Institute of Chicago in Chicago, the Brauer Museum of Art in Valparaiso, Indiana, the Davis Museum and Cultural Center at Wellesley College in Wellesley, Massachusetts, the Honolulu Museum of Art in Honolulu, Hawaii, the Minneapolis Institute of Arts in Minneapolis, Minnesota, the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston in Boston, Massachusetts, the National Academy of Design in New York City, the Rockford Museum in Rockford, Illinois, the Weatherspoon Art Gallery in Greensboro, North Carolina and the Williams College Museum of Art in Williamstown, Massachusetts are among the public collections holding work by Susanna Coffey.
National Endowment for the Arts, Louis Comfort Tiffany Foundation, The John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship, Residency at the Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Center, The Marie Walsh Sharpe Foundation Studio Program Award are among the awards Susanna Coffey has received.
- Review of Elemental by Hearne Pardee The Brooklyn Rail February 2014
- Book, ″In Residence, Contemporary Artists at Dartmouth The Hood Museum of Art″, Dartmouth College, 2014
- Review of From Life by John Yau, Hyperallergenic November 25, 2012
- Review of Apophenia by Cate McQuaid, The Boston Globe, September 25, 2012
- Review of Nocturne by John Goodrich, City Arts April 3, 2012
- Review of Pavers, City Arts, John Goodrich, January 12, 2011
- Book, ″Selected Contemporary American Figurative Painters″, Editor, Qimin Liu, Tianjin Peoples Fine Arts Publishing House, China, 2010
- Review of Night Paintings 1995-2010, Jeremy Bliss, New City, Chicago, April 22, 2010
- Catalog, ″Artist’s Response: Portraits and Self-Portraits″, from exhibition, Unexpected Reflections: The Portrait Reconsidered at Meridian Gallery, 2009, San Francisco CA, by Terri Cohn
- Review of Reconfiguring the Body in American Art, 1820-2009, The New York Times, Ken Johnson, July 22, 2009
- Article, “Looking at Herself” Kathleen Edgecomb, The New London Day, December 8, 05
- Review of Alpha Gallery show, Cate McQuaid, The Boston Globe, November 19, 2004
- Review of Women of the Academy, Ken Johnson, The New York Times, Summer 2003
- Catalog, Susanna Coffey: Recent Work, Strand, Mark, New York, André Emmerich, 2003
- Catalog, Susanna Coffey, Tibor De Nagy Gallery, New York, Tibor De Nagy Gallery, 2001
- Catalog Susanna Coffey, Tibor De Nagy Gallery, 2001 essay by Michael Rooks, Poem, "In Sky" by Susan Wheeler
- Catalog, Susanna Coffey Studio Art Exhibition Program, Dartmouth College, September, 1998 Essays by Michael Rooks and Eileen Myles