26 April 1965 |
|Spouse(s)||Iain Glen (1993–2004)|
|Partner(s)||Paul McGann (2006–2008)|
Harker was brought up as a Catholic and has a younger sister, Caroline Harker. They were educated at a "strict" independent convent boarding school run by nuns in Sussex, and at the Central School of Speech and Drama in North London. Her sister is also an actress on stage and screen.
Harker has acted in both contemporary and classic works, on stage, in movies and in TV series.
In 1990-91 she appeared alongside Clive Owen in Chancer. She later played Dinah Morris in the 1991 adaptation of Adam Bede. She starred as Jane Bennet in the 1995 TV adaptation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. She is featured as Emma Fitzgerald, Superintendent Tyburn's (Trevor Eve) love interest in the BBC TV series, Heat of the Sun (1998). She also appeared in the play, On the Shore of the Wide World. She played Sapphire in Big Finish Productions' audio revival of Sapphire & Steel, in three series of plays released on CD between 2005 and 2008. In 2003 she played Clare Keightley in the audio version of the Doctor Who adventure Shada, alongside Paul McGann. In December 2011 Harker appeared in the BBC drama Young James Herriot. In 2012 she returned to the stage, playing the role of Sue in a London production of Mike Leigh's Abigail's Party.
During early 2014 she starred in the Gate Theatre, Dublin production of The Vortex by Noël Coward. In 2015, she played Miss Ella Rentheim in a BBC Radio 4 production of Ibsen's John Gabriel Borkman.
Harker's sister, Caroline Harker, is also a TV and stage actor.
- Burke & Wills (1985)
- The Lady's Not for Burning (1987)
- Troubles (1988)
- White Mischief (1987)
- A Dry White Season (1989)
- The Crucifer of Blood (1991)
- Surviving Picasso (1996)
- Intimacy (2001)
- Trance (2001)
- Offending Angels (2002)
- Always Crashing in the Same Car (2007)
- The Calling (2008)
- The Fear (1988)
- Chancer (1990)
- House of Cards (1990)
- Adam Bede (1991)
- The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - The Dying Detective (1994)
- Faith (1994)
- Pride and Prejudice (1995)
- Heat of the Sun (1998)
- Ultraviolet (1998)
- Murder in Mind (2001)
- Waking the Dead (2002)
- Perfect Parents (2006)
- Midsomer Murders (2009)
- Susannah Harker BBC Drama, April 2007
- Young James Herriot - Gainful Employment BBC One, December 2011
- Kellaway, Kate (11 March 2012). "Abigail's Party – review | Stage | The Observer". The Guardian (London: GMG). ISSN 0261-3077. OCLC 60623878. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- "BBC Radio 4 - Drama, John Gabriel Borkman, Episode 1". Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- May, Dominic (6 December 2006). "Beyond the TARDIS – McGann and Harker". Doctor Who Magazine (376): 7.