Susanne Bødker is a Danish computer scientist known for her contributions to human–computer interaction, computer-supported cooperative work, and participatory design, including the introduction of activity theory to human–computer interaction. She is a professor of computer science at Aarhus University, and a member of the CHI Academy.
Bødker is the author of the book Through the Interface: A Human Activity Approach To User Interface Design (Taylor & Francis, 1990).
Bødker was a visiting researcher at Xerox PARC for 1982–1983. She earned a Ph.D. at Aarhus University in 1987, with a dissertation Brugergrænseflader - hvordan skal vi forstå dem og deres brug, og hvordan skal vi designe dem supervised by Morten Kyng. She completed her habilitation (Dr. Scient.) in 1999 at Aarhus; her habilitation thesis, Computer Applications as Mediators of Design and Use, was jointly supervised by Christiane Floyd and Markku Nurminen.
In 2008, the Special Interest Group on Design of Communication of the Association for Computing Machinery gave Bødker their Rigo Award for "lifetime contribution to the field of communication design". The award cited Bødker "for her contributions to participatory design, computer-supported cooperative work and human–computer interaction". Bødker was elected to the CHI Academy in 2010. In 2015 she won the lifetime achievement award of the European Society for Socially Embedded Technologies (EUSSET) and the International Institute for Socio-Informatics (IISI). She won the Pioneer award of the International Federation for Information Processing Technical Committee on Human–Computer Interaction (IFIP TC13) in 2016.
- Kaptelinin, Victor; Nardi, Bonnie A. (2009), Acting with Technology: Activity Theory and Interaction Design, MIT Press, p. 74, ISBN 9780262263429
- Lintern, Gavan (January 1994), "Review of Through the Interface", The International Journal of Aviation Psychology, 4 (1): 97–102, doi:10.1207/s15327108ijap0401_6
- Susanne Bødker at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Rigo Award, ACM SIGDOC, retrieved 2018-10-19
- Award Recipients, ACM SIGCHI, retrieved 2018-10-19
- Iversen, Mariannae Dammand (October 1, 2015), EUSSET Lifetime Achievement Award winner, Aarhus University Department of Computer Science, retrieved 2018-10-19
- Awards, IFIP TC13, retrieved 2018-10-19