Dent on Countdown in 2012
|Born||November 19, 1964|
|Education||Marist Convent, Ascot, Berkshire|
|Alma mater||Somerville College, Oxford|
|Occupation||Lexicographer and television presenter|
|Known for||Countdown (1992–present)|
Susie Dent (born  is an English lexicographer and etymologist. She has appeared in "Dictionary Corner" on the Channel 4 game show Countdown every year since 1992. She also appears on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, a post-watershed comedy version of the show presented by comedian Jimmy Carr.November 19, 1964)
Born in Woking, Surrey, Dent was educated at the Marist Convent in Ascot, an independent Roman Catholic day school. She went on to Somerville College, Oxford for her B.A. in modern languages, then to Princeton University for her master's degree in German.
Dent is well known as the resident lexicographer and adjudicator for the letters rounds on Channel 4's long-running game show Countdown. On each episode, she also provides a brief commentary on the origin of a particular word or phrase. Dent is the longest-serving member of the show's current on-screen team, having first appeared in 1992; she has made over 2500 appearances.
From 2003 to 2007, Dent was the author of a series of annual Language Reports for the Oxford University Press (OUP). The first was titled simply The Language Report, and this was followed by Larpers and Shroomers (2004), Fanboys and Overdogs (2005), The Like, Language Report for Real (2006) and The Language Report: English on the Move 2000 – 2007 (2007). The format of this publication was revised for 2008 as an A–Z collection of new and newly resurrected words. It was published in October 2008 as Words of the Year.
In 2005 the same publisher issued Winning Words (ISBN 0199198748) and in 2009 What Made the Crocodile Cry? 101 questions about the English language (ISBN 0199574154). Dent's book about dialects, How to Talk Like a Local (ISBN 1905211791), was published in March 2010.
|Date First Published||Title||Pages||Publisher|
|November 2003||The Language Report: The Ultimate Record of What We're Saying and How We're Saying It||151||Oxford University Press|
|November 2004||Larpers and Shroomers: The Language Report||174||Oxford University Press|
|September 2005||Winning Words||32||Oxford University Press|
|January 2006||Fanboys and Overdogs||163||Oxford University Press|
|January 2007||The Like, Language Report for Real||176||Oxford University Press|
|December 2007||The Language Report: English on the Move 2000 – 2007||166||Oxford University Press|
|October 2008||Words of the Year||148||Oxford University Press|
|November 2008||How to Talk Like a Local: From Cockney to Geordie||256||Random House|
|October 2009||What Made the Crocodile Cry? 101 questions about the English language||159||Oxford University Press|
|August 2012||Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (Editor)||1568||John Murray Learning|
|November 2013||Susie Dent's Weird Words||176||Scholastic Non-Fiction|
|October 2017||Dent's Modern Tribes: The Secret Languages of Britain||336||John Murray|
- "Susie Dent interview". Oxford voices. BBC. 2005. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
- "In Dictionary Corner with Countdown's Susie Dent, the 'dominatrix' of words". Radio Times. 8 November 2016.
- Times Educational Supplement; 1 August 2008
- Oppenheimer, Jeni (8 June 2009). "Channel 4's Countdown supplies Susie Dent with 'extra ideas' via earpiece". The Telegraph. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- The Countdown Page on lexicographers.
- "8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown". Channel 4. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- 22:35. "BBC One - Not Going Out, Series 8, Hot Tub". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- Butcher, David. "Not Going Out - what time is it on TV? Episode 4 Series 8 cast list and preview". Radiotimes.com. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Susie Dent's Guide to Swearing - All 4". Channel4.com. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- 23:55. "BBC One - Would I Lie to You?, Series 11, Episode 4". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- Susie Dent. Susie Dent's Words of the Year. Amazon.co.uk. ISBN 9780199551996. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- Susie Dent. How to Talk Like a Local: From Cockney to Geordie, a national companion. Amazon.co.uk. ISBN 9781905211791. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Books by Susie Dent - goodreads.com". Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "Dent's blog entries for OUP".
- "Channel 4 Countdown Page".
- Voices (BBC Oxford). "Susie Dent interview".
- "Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast interview".
- Susie Dent on IMDb