|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana|
Assumed office |
March 30, 2012
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Thomas Porteous|
April 22, 1953|
University of Louisiana at Monroe (B.A., M.A.)|
Paul M. Hebert Law Center (J.D.)
Donna Sue "Susie" Morgan, known professionally as Susie Morgan, formerly known as Donna Sue Beach & Donna Sue Leteff, (born April 22, 1953) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
Early life and education
Born in Winnsboro, Louisiana, Morgan earned a Bachelor of Arts in 1974 from Northeast Louisiana University in Monroe, Louisiana, and her Master of Arts in 1976. She obtained a Juris Doctor; Order of the Coif in 1980 from the Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center.
Morgan first worked from 1980 to 1981 as a law clerk to Judge Henry Anthony Politz of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Morgan joined the Shreveport firm of Wiener, Weiss and Madison in 1981, where she started as an associate and became a partner in 1985. She worked with them for more than 24 years.
Federal judicial service
On June 7, 2011, President Barack Obama nominated Morgan to a seat on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana that had been vacated by Judge Thomas Porteous's impeachment. On November 10, 2011, the Senate Judiciary Committee reported her nomination to the floor of the Senate by a voice vote. On March 28, 2012, her nomination was confirmed by a vote of 96 ayes to 1 nay. She received her commission on March 30, 2012. Morgan has overseen the New Orleans Police Department Consent Decree since its entry in January 2013.
- "Attorney Profile Susie Morgan". Phelps Dunbar LLP. Archived from the original on 2011-09-26. Retrieved 2011-06-22.
- "Morgan, Donna Sue - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "President Obama Nominates Four to the United States District Court". June 7, 2011. Archived from the original on March 17, 2012. Retrieved June 25, 2011.
- "Landrieu Welcomes President's Nomination of Susie Morgan to U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of La." Senator Mary Landrieu. Archived from the original on 2011-06-14. Retrieved 2011-06-22.
- "Nominations Sent to the Senate". The Whitehouse. Retrieved 2011-06-22.
- "Home - United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary". judiciary.senate.gov.
- "U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 112th Congress - 2nd Session". www.senate.gov.
- Susie Morgan at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Susie Morgan at Ballotpedia
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana