Sussex Rugby Football Union
|Full name||Sussex Rugby Football Union|
|Region||East Sussex, West Sussex|
The first rugby club in Sussex was Brighton, formed in 1868. Following the formation of several other clubs in the 1880s, the Sussex Rugby Football Union was formed in 1883, several years prior to the national organisation of which it is now a constituent part, with the most recent members admitted in 2008.
Sussex senior men's county team
Sussex currently play in the County Championship Shield (the third division of the County Championship. At the 2017 County Championship Shield they made the final for the first time in the county's history, losing on try count to Oxfordshire (4 tries to 5) at Twickenham Stadium, after an exciting game that finished 29-29.
- 1066 Conquerors
- Barns Green
- Brighton & Hove Sea Serpents
- Brighton and Sussex Medical School
- Burgess Hill
- Cinque Ports
- Eastbourne Stags
- East Grinstead
- Hastings & Bexhill[a 1]
- Haywards Heath
- Heathfield & Waldron
- Norfolk Arms
- Old Brightonians
- St Francis
- Sussex Police
- University of Brighton
- University of Chichester
- University of Sussex
- Worthing Raiders
- Hastings & Bexhill play in the Kent RFU regional leagues.
County club competitions
- Sussex Division 1 - league ranked at tier 9 of the English rugby union system)
- Sussex Division 2 - tier 10 league
- Sussex Division 2 Reserve - tier 10 league for Reserve teams
- Sussex Division 3 - tier 11 league
- Sussex Division 4 East - tier 12 league (East Sussex)
- Sussex Division 4 West - tier 12 league (West Sussex)
- "Sussex RFU". The Rugby Football Union. Archived from the original on 2013-02-01. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- "Sussex RFU Home". Sussex Rugby Football Union. Archived from the original on 2009-12-29. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- "Who's who". Sussex Rugby Football Union. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- "OXFORDSHIRE BECOME DIVISION THREE COUNTY CHAMPIONS". England Rugby. 28 May 2017.
- "SUSSEX FOOTBALL UNION FIXTURES HANDBOOK 2016 – 2017" (PDF). Sussex RFU. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- "Competitions". Sussex Rugby Football Union.