Sutherland Springs, Texas
|Founded by||John Sutherland|
|Elevation||469 ft (143 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|Website||Handbook of Texas|
Sutherland Springs is an unincorporated community located on the old Spanish land grant of Manuel Tarin in northern Wilson County, Texas, United States. It is located on U.S. Highway 87 at the intersection of Farm Road 539.
On November 5 2017, Sutherland Springs local church became the scene of the deadliest shooting in a place of worship when 26 people were killed and 22 other were injured, before the shooter committed suicide.
On November 5, 2017, Devin Patrick Kelley shot 26 people dead and injured 22 at the community's First Baptist Church. The gunfire was heard by Stephen Willeford, a church neighbor and former NRA instructor, who grabbed his weapon and ran toward the scene barefoot. Willeford seriously wounded Kelley in a rapid exchange of gunfire, then corralled a nearby car and chased Kelley as he tried to flee the scene in his truck. After a high-speed chase, Kelley succumbed to a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. He was found dead in a roadside ditch. It was the deadliest mass shooting in Texas history and the fifth deadliest mass shooting in the history of the United States. 
- The Good Old Days: A History of LaVernia was published by members of the civic government class at LaVernia High School for the 1936-37 academic school year.
- Wilson County Centennial 1860-1960 was published by the Wilson County Library; it is the official centennial program handed out by the local community for the "100-year celebration" of the county's establishment.
- "Sutherland Springs". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey, United States Department of the Interior.
- McCaslin, Richard. "Sutherland Springs, TX". tshaonline.org. Texas State Historical Association. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "Post Offices". Postalhistory.com. Retrieved November 6, 2017.
- "Texas Church Shooting". The Guardian. November 7, 2017.
- Killough, Ashley; LeBlanc, Paul (July 7, 2021). "Federal judge largely faults Air Force for 2017 Texas church shooting". Cnn.com. Retrieved July 9, 2021.
- "Sutherland Springs: Texas church shooting leaves 26 dead". BBC News. November 5, 2017.
- Saeed Ahmed. "2 of the 5 deadliest mass shootings in modern US history happened in the last 35 days". Cnn.com. Retrieved February 9, 2022.