Sutherland railway station
|Location||Old Princes Highway, Sutherland|
|Coordinates||34°01′54″S 151°03′26″E / 34.03175°S 151.05732°ECoordinates: 34°01′54″S 151°03′26″E / 34.03175°S 151.05732°E|
|Owned by||Transport Asset Holding Entity|
|Operated by||Sydney Trains|
|Distance||24.64 kilometres from Central|
|Platforms||3 (1 side, 1 island)|
|Website||Transport for NSW|
|Opened||26 December 1885|
|2013||6,520 (daily) (Sydney Trains, NSW TrainLink)|
Sutherland railway station is located on the Illawarra line, serving the Sydney suburb of Sutherland. It is served by Sydney Trains T4 line services and NSW TrainLink South Coast line services.
Sutherland station opened on 26 December 1885 as the interim terminus of the Illawarra line when it was extended from Hurstville. The station opened for general rail traffic on 1 March 1886. It consisted of a brick station facing both the road and railway, a goods shed, and a stationmaster's residence. On 9 March 1886, the line was extended to Waterfall.
On 16 December 1939, Sutherland became a junction station with the opening of the Cronulla line. Although the electric wires continued south to Loftus and Royal National Park, until this was extended to Waterfall in 1980, Sutherland was the transfer station for services to Wollongong.
On 15 November 1993, an upgraded footbridge with a new ticket office and lifts was opened by Minister for Transport Bruce Baird.
A number of upgrades have taken place. In 2010, as part of the CityRail Clearways Program, the junction to the south of the station leading to the Cronulla railway line was duplicated.
A new bus interchange was completed in May 2014. A new lift to Platform 1 was completed in October 2014 making the station fully wheelchair accessible.
In August 2014, construction commenced on a new 340 vehicle multi-storey car park. It opened on 6 July 2015.
In 2018, the lift from platforms 2 and 3 was rebuilt to have the entrance from the north end instead of the south.
Platforms & services
|1||services to Bondi Junction|||
|services to Central, Martin Place & Bondi Junction|||
|2||services to Waterfall, Helensburgh & Bondi Junction|||
|services to Wollongong, Dapto & Kiama|
1 weekday morning peak service to Port Kembla
|3||services to Cronulla, Waterfall & Helensburgh|||
Transdev NSW operates eight routes via Sutherland station – all routes depart from the bus interchange on the western side of the station except routes 969 and 976, which depart from Flora Street on the eastern side:
- 961: Westfield Miranda to Barden Ridge
- 962: Westfield Miranda to East Hills
- 965: to Woronora
- 969: to Cronulla
- 976: to Grays Point
- 991: to Heathcote
- 993: Westfield Miranda to Engadine & Woronora Heights
- M92: to Parramatta station
Sutherland station is served by one NightRide route:
- NightRide N10: to Town Hall station
- ^ Bureau of Transport Statistics. "Train Statistics 2014" (PDF). Transport NSW. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- ^ Excursion to Como and Sutherland Sydney Morning Herald 28 December 1885
- ^ Sutherland Station NSWrail.net
- ^ The Illawarra Railway Sydney Morning Herald 1 March 1886
- ^ "Further Easy Access Stations Completed" Railway Digest December 1993 page 517
- ^ Rail Clearways Program – Completed Projects Archived 11 July 2015 at the Wayback Machine Transport for New South Wales
- ^ Transport blitz to deliver improvements for customers Transport for NSW 23 April 2012
- ^ Completed works – Sutherland Archived 11 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine Transport for New South Wales
- ^ New lift at Sutherland Station opens for customers Transport for NSW 20 October 2014
- ^ "Construction begins on Sutherland Station car park" Railway Digest September 2014 page 15
- ^ Commuter car park – Construction underway Transport for NSW 21 October 2014
- ^ New commuter car park to open at Sutherland on Monday Transport for NSW 1 July 2015
- ^ Fantastic news: Sutherland’s new commuter car park to open July 6 St George Leader 1 July 2015
- ^ a b c "T4: Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra line timetable". Transport for NSW.
- ^ a b "South Coast line timetable". Transport for NSW.
- ^ "Transdev NSW route 961". Transport for NSW.
- ^ "Transdev NSW route 962". Transport for NSW.
- ^ "Transdev NSW route 965". Transport for NSW.
- ^ "Transdev NSW route 969". Transport for NSW.
- ^ "Transdev NSW route 976". Transport for NSW.
- ^ "Transdev NSW route 991". Transport for NSW.
- ^ "Transdev NSW route 993". Transport for NSW.
- ^ "Transdev NSW route M92". Transport for NSW.
- ^ "N10 Nightride". Transport for NSW.
- Media related to Sutherland railway station at Wikimedia Commons
- Sutherland station details Transport for New South Wales
- Sutherland Station Public Transport Map Transport for NSW