Sutton-in-Ashfield Central railway station
|Original company||Mansfield Railway|
|2 April 1917||Opened|
|6 January 1956||Closed to timetabled passenger traffic and to goods|
|8 September 1956||Closed to timetabled summer Saturday holiday trains|
|September 1962||Seasonal excursions ended|
|7 January 1968||Line through station closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
This article concerns the closed and demolished former Mansfield Railway station. Articles about Sutton's other historical stations have yet to be written. Sutton's modern-day Robin Hood Line station can be found at Sutton Parkway railway station
The station was opened by the Mansfield Railway along with Mansfield Central and Kirkby-in-Ashfield Central stations in 1917. The line, and its stations, was worked by the Great Central Railway and became part of the LNER in 1923 and subsequently British Railways in 1948.
Goods and timetabled passenger services ceased on 3 January 1956, though Summer weekend excursion traffic to Scarborough, Cleethorpes, Skegness and Mablethorpe continued until 1962.
The line through the station was closed on 7 January 1968 and subsequently lifted.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Mansfield Central||British Railways
- Anderson, Paul; Cupit, Jack (2000). An Illustrated History of Mansfield's Railways. Clophill: Irwell Press. ISBN 1-903266-15-7.
- Booth, Chris (December 2011). Gellatly, Bob, ed. "Signalling on the Mansfield Railway-Part 1". Forward. North Anston, Sheffield: Bob Gellatly for the Great Central Railway Society. 170. ISSN 0141-4488.
- Bradshaw, George (1985) . July 1922 Railway Guide. Newton Abbott: David & Charles.
- Cupit, Jack (February 1956). Allen, G. Freeman, ed. "The end of Passenger Services on the Mansfield Railway". Trains Illustrated. Hampton Court, Surrey: Ian Allan Ltd. IX (2).
- Dow, George (1971) . Great Central, Volume 3. London: Ian Allan. ISBN 0 7110 0263 0.
- Lund, Brian (1999) . Nottinghamshire Railway Stations on old picture postcards. Keyworth, Nottingham: Reflections of a Bygone Age. ISBN 0 946245 36 3.
- Howard Anderson, P. (1973). Forgotten Railways: The East Midlands. Newton Abbott: David & Charles. ISBN 0 7153 6094 9.