The beach, Sutton on Sea
|Sutton-on-Sea shown within Lincolnshire|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||125 mi (201 km) S|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Sutton-on-Sea (originally Sutton in the Marsh or Sutton le Marsh) is a small coastal village in the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated at the junction of the A52 and A1111 roads, 6 miles (10 km) north-east from Alford and 2 miles (3.2 km) south from Mablethorpe. The village is part of the civil parish of Mablethorpe and Sutton (where the population is listed).
Village facilities include a post office, public houses, a general store and a hotel, and a paddling pool on the sea front.
In 1897 the village was the subject of a plan by the Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway to build a port and harbour at the terminus of its East-West line to Warrington on the Manchester Ship Canal. However, by the time the line reached Lincoln the money had run out and Lincoln remained its terminus.
Sutton on Sea Community Primary School was built in 1862 as a National School, becoming a board school in 1887, and a council school in 1903. It became a primary school in 1964, and has been called the Sutton on Sea Community Primary School since 1999.
- "Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment" (PDF). Project 3279. English Heritage. p. 22. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "Sutton on Sea Forest". Sutton on Sea website. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "British Listed Buildings". St Clement, Sutton On Sea. English Heritage. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "Alford to Sutton Tramway". Alford Website. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "This Is Grimsby". Grimsby. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "Disused Stations". Sutton on Sea. Subterranea Brittanica. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- Cupit, J & Taylor, W., (1984) The Lancashire , Derbyshire & East Coast Railway Usk: Oakwood Press. ISBN 0853613028[page needed]
- "Lincs to the Past". Sutton on Sea Community Primary School. Lincolnshire Archives. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- Media related to Sutton-on-Sea at Wikimedia Commons
- The largest selection of old and new Sutton on Sea photographs
- East Coast Wiki - The wiki for towns and villages along the East Coast of England
- MASCOT - Mablethorpe And Sutton Chamber Of Trade
- Photo gallery for Mablethorpe, Trusthorpe, Sutton-On-Sea with images old and new
- Sutton on Sea resort page on Lincolnshire Seaside website
- Sutton-on-Sea Community Primary School
- Squire Furnishings: Your complete whole house furnisher