Suzanne Bates (born January 11, 1956) is an American business consultant and executive coach based in Wellesley, Massachusetts who is regarded as an authority on executive communication. She wrote two books on business communications which were described as bestsellers. She worked as an on-air reporter and anchor for television stations in Boston, Tampa and Philadelphia. In 2000, Bates started her consulting firm, Bates Communications, to coach business executives in matters related to executive communication. It is based in Wellesley, a suburb of Boston. Her firm advises clients such as Fidelity Investments, Raytheon, Dow Chemical, and Blue Cross Blue Shield. Bates was born in Danville, Illinois and received a bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Illinois. She is an avid gardener.
- Speak like a CEO: Secrets for Commanding Attention and Getting Results, McGraw-Hill Education, 2005, ISBN 978-0-071-45151-2
- Motivate like a CEO: Communicate Your Strategic Vision and Inspire People to Act, McGraw-Hill Education, 2009, ISBN 978-0-071-60029-3
- Discover Your CEO Brand: Secrets to Embracing and Maximizing Your Unique Value as a Leader, McGraw-Hill Education, 2012, ISBN 978-0-071-76286-1
- All the Leader You Can Be: The Science of Achieving Extraordinary Executive Presence, McGraw-Hill Education, 2016, ISBN 978-1-259-58577-7
- JOANN S. LUBLIN, Oct. 16, 2011, Wall Street Journal, High Aspirations? Get to Know the Board, Retrieved April 23, 2015, "...executives often don't know how to get noticed by directors because "they have few opportunities to present or interact in a social setting," says Boston executive coach Suzanne Bates,..."
- Shellenbarger, Sue (13 January 2015). "How to Look Smarter". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- Boston.com, The Top Ten Most Memorable TV Bosses, Retrieved April 23, 2015, "...Former TV anchor and the author of ... Suzanne Bates, ... list of the "Top 10 memorable TV bosses." ..."
- June 4, 2004, Boston.com, How well does your boss communicate?, Retrieved April 23, 2015, "...every time you open your mouth you're auditioning for leadership, said Suzanne Bates..."
- Sue Shallenbarger, June 11, 2013, Wall Street Journal, Is Too Much Eye Contact Creepy?, Retrieved April 23, 2015, "...Eye contact is a sign of respect and attentiveness, says Suzanne Bates, chief executive of Bates Communications, a Wellesley, Mass.-based firm that offers executive coaching and communications consulting..."
- Melanie Nayer, September 11, 2005, Boston Globe, Preparation will help you ace interview, Retrieved April 23, 2015, "...Bates, who offers executive coaching and professional training to corporations, said job seekers are so concerned about how they are going to answer the questions they don't focus enough on what questions they should ask...."
- Cindy Cantrell, Shivaji Mudambi, February 16, 2012, Boston.com, Wellesley resident celebrates release of third book, Retrieved April 23, 2015, "...wo-time, best-selling business author Suzanne Bates of Wellesley recently celebrated the release of her third book,..."
- JAY CRIDLIN, St. Petersburg Times, May 28, 2002, Undersea pursuits; adieu to anchoring, Retrieved April 23, 2015, "..WFLA-Ch. 8 anchor ... Philadelphia in the mid 1980s... WBZ-TV in Boston... She founded her own media consulting firm, Bates Communications Inc.... Wellesley, Mass. ...."
- Cashwell, Margaret (9 November 2011). "Suzanne Bates: from Tampa TV news desk to CEO boot camp". Tampa Bay Business Journal. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- May 29, 1994, The New York Times, Boston's Private Gardens Briefly Open Their Doors to the Public, Retrieved April 23, 2015, "..."The best part of it is getting to peek into people's houses and look behind the walls," said Suzanne Bates, a television newscaster who is starting her own garden ..."