Suzy Amis Cameron
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Amis in 2010
|Born||Susan Elizabeth Amis
January 5, 1962
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, U.S.
|Other names||Suzy Amis Cameron|
|Spouse(s)||Sam Robards (m. 1985–94)
James Cameron (m. 2000)
James Quinn Cameron
Elizabeth Rose Cameron
Susan Elizabeth Amis Cameron (born January 5, 1962) is an American environmental advocate, a former actress, and a former model.
Born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Amis first worked as a Ford model before she began acting in the 1980s. She made her feature film debut in the 1985 comedy film Fandango, opposite Kevin Costner. Amis next had roles in Rocket Gibraltar (1988), Where the Heart Is (1990), and Rich in Love (1993). In 1993, she appeared as Josephine "Jo" Monaghan in The Ballad of Little Jo. Amis later appeared in Blown Away (1994), The Usual Suspects (1995) and the blockbuster Titanic (1997) in which she played Lizzy Calvert, the granddaughter of Rose DeWitt Bukater (Gloria Stuart). That same year, she starred opposite Tom Selleck in the western Last Stand at Saber River and acted in the cult-classic Nadja. Amis retired from acting after her last screen appearance in the 1999 film, Judgment Day.
In 2005, Amis co-founded MUSE School, a Reggio-inspired, independent, non-profit school in the Topanga, California area of Los Angeles, with her sister, Rebecca Amis, reported as the country's first vegan K-12 school.
In 2009, Amis founded Red Carpet Green Dress, a global initiative showcasing sustainable fashion on the red carpet at the Oscars. In 2014, for the fifth anniversary of the founding of Red Carpet Green Dress, Olga Kurylenko wore a custom sustainable fashion gown. The gown was designed by Alice Elia, a student at ESMOD, whilst Kellan Lutz marked the introduction of a menswear category, wearing a tuxedo designed by Jomnarn Dul of Ekocycle made from recycled plastic. Other actors to participate in the project include Naomie Harris and Missi Pyle.
In 2014, Amis co-founded, with her husband, director James Cameron, Food Choice Task Force, an organization focused on showing the impact of animal agriculture on climate change and the environment. One of the initiatives in Spring 2015 was "MyPlate MyPlanet," a platform for hundreds of environmental and health organizations in support of linking health and the environment in the U.S. Dietary Guidelines.
Since June 4, 2000, Amis has been married to film director James Cameron, whom she met while filming Titanic. Amis and Cameron have three children: Claire (April 4, 2001), James Quinn (September 9, 2003, known by his middle name) and Elizabeth Rose (December 29, 2006). She also has a son, Jasper (April 30, 1990), with her first husband, Sam Robards.
|1984||Miami Vice||Penny McGraw||Episode: "Heart of Darkness"|
|1987||Big Town, TheThe Big Town||Aggie Donaldson|
|1988||Plain Clothes||Robin Torrence|
|1988||Rocket Gibraltar||Aggie Rockwell|
|1990||Where the Heart Is||Chloe McBain|
|1993||Rich in Love||Rae Odom|
|1993||Ballad of Little Jo, TheThe Ballad of Little Jo||Josephine "Jo" Monaghan||Alternative title: Little Man Jo
Nominated—Independent Spirit Award for Best Female Lead
|1993||Two Small Bodies||Eileen Mahoney|
|1994||Blown Away||Kate Dove|
|1995||Usual Suspects, TheThe Usual Suspects||Edie Finneran||National Board of Review Award for Best Cast|
|1996||Cadillac Ranch||C.J. Crowley|
|1996||One Good Turn||Laura Forrest|
|1997||Ex, TheThe Ex||Molly Kenyon|
|1997||Titanic||Lizzy Calvert||Nominated—Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture|
|1997||Beneficiary, TheThe Beneficiary||Connie Roos||Television movie|
|1997||Last Stand at Saber River||Martha Cable||Television movie|
|1997||Dead by Midnight||Lisa Larkin/Dr. Sarah Flint||Television movie|
|1999||Judgment Day||Jeanine Tyrell||Direct-to-video release|
- Metro.co.uk, Deni Kirkova for. "First ever vegan school in the US says you can't consume animals and care for the environment". Metro. Retrieved 2016-01-09.
- "Samata Angel interviews Suzy Cameron". Vogue.co.uk. 2011-11-15. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- "Red Carpet Green Dress 5th Year Anniversary Party, Palihouse, Los Angeles on Vimeo". Vimeo.com. 2014-06-18. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- Medina, Marcy (26 February 2014). "Olga Kurylenko to Wear Design for Red Carpet Green Dress". WWD. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Food Politics by Marion Nestle » My Plate, My Planet: Support Sustainability in Dietary Guidelines". Foodpolitics.com. 2015-03-24. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- "Curried kale cakes for My Plate, My Planet". CSMonitor.com. 2015-05-07. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- Ghosts of the Abyss DVD – Special Features
- Barclay, Eliza (2014-06-08). "James Cameron-Backed School To Terminate Meat And Dairy". NPR. Archived from the original on 2014-08-15. Retrieved 2014-08-15.
The turn happened, Amis Cameron says, when the couple went vegan in 2012 after watching the documentary Forks over Knives.
- Woods, Judith (2012-10-02). "Rare interview with director James Cameron: Titanic temper, Kate Winslet, and veganism". Calgary Herald. Archived from the original on 2012-10-06. Retrieved 2014-08-15.
[James Cameron] drives a Toyota Hybrid that is a whole six years old and recently became vegan, along with his family of five children, aged from five to 23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Suzy Amis.|