||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Suzy R. Welch|
1959 (age 56–57)
|Residence||New York City, Nantucket
North Palm Beach, Florida
|Other names||Suzy Wetlaufer
Suzanne R. Wetlaufer
|Occupation||Former editor of the Harvard Business Review|
Suzy Welch (born Suzanne Spring in 1959), formerly known as Suzy Wetlaufer, is an American author, television commentator, business journalist, and public speaker. Her 2009 book, 10-10-10: A Life Transforming Idea, was a New York Times bestseller. She is also the co-author, with her husband Jack Welch, of two international New York Times and Wall Street Journal best-selling business books, Winning, published in 2005, and The Real Life MBA, published in 2015.
Early life and education
Suzy Welch was born Suzanne Spring in 1959 to parents Phyllis and Bernard Spring in Portland, Oregon. She was primarily raised in New York and New England. Welch attended Phillips Exeter Academy, Harvard and Radcliffe College, and Harvard Business School, from which she graduated as a Baker Scholar, in the top five percent of her class.
Welch started her career as a reporter with the Miami Herald and then with the Associated Press. After business school, she worked for several years at Bain & Company, a management consulting firm based in Boston. She was later named editor-in-chief of the Harvard Business Review. She has written a novel, and authored and edited numerous books and articles dealing with leadership, organizational change, and human resource management.
In early 2002, Welch was forced to resign from the Harvard Business Review after admitting to an affair with the then-married Jack Welch, the former chief executive officer of General Electric, while preparing an interview with him for the magazine. The affair was brought to the attention of the Review by Jane Welch, Welch's wife at the time. Jack Welch and Jane Welch divorced and he then married Suzy Welch. Suzy Welch had the interview pulled before it appeared in the Business Review.
Together with her husband, Jack Welch, Suzy has co-authored several best-selling books including, Winning, its companion volume, Winning: The Answers, and, most recently, The Real Life MBA: Your No-BS Guide to Winning the Game, Building a Team and Growing Your Career. Jack and Suzy also wrote "The Welch Way", a weekly column on business and career challenges that appeared in BusinessWeek magazine from 2005 to 2009 and was published in 45 newspapers across the world by the New York Times Syndicate.
She has written about work–life balance and other cultural issues for publications including O, The Oprah Magazine and the Wall Street Journal. In addition, she has been a commentator on television programs including Good Morning America, The View, Morning Joe, Your World With Neil Cavuto, and Power Lunch. Her career expertise and perceptive commentary have made her a regular contributor on The TODAY Show and Bulls & Bears.
All proceeds from the Welches' books are donated to fund scholarships for low-income students. Suzy and Jack have donated over $8 million to the University of Massachusetts, primarily through the John and Grace Welch Scholarship fund for Salem High School students.
- "https://www.umass.edu/newsoffice/article/jack-suzy-welch-share-straight-talk-rules". External link in
- "http://www.ge.com/about-us/leadership/profiles/john-f-welch-jr". External link in
- "http://business.livetalksla.org/2015/02/25/may-18-jack-welch-former-ceo-general-electric/". External link in
- "http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2015-05-10/advice-how-to-and-miscellaneous/list.html". External link in
- "http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/media/features/5976/index2.html". External link in
- "http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1903597/bio". External link in
- DePaulo, Lisa (May 6, 2002). "If You Knew Suzy...". New York. Primedia. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- Katherine M. Gray. "Suzy Welch". The Harvard Crimson. Retrieved April 12, 2007.
- "http://www.today.com/money/suzy-welch-shares-5-tips-kick-start-your-career-t44116". External link in
- "http://www.today.com/video/rejoining-the-workforce-3-tips-to-help-ensure-your-success-503985219553". External link in
- "http://www.today.com/video/do-you-know-what-your-adult-kids-to-for-a-living-550222915799". External link in
- "http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/cost-of-freedom/index.html#/v/4496472871001". External link in
- "http://video.foxnews.com/v/4601198570001/will-new-attacks-on-capitalism-derail-jobs-recovery/?playlist_id=932064000001#sp=show-clips". External link in
- "https://www.caaspeakers.com/suzy-welch/". External link in
- "http://schedule.sxsw.com/2015/events/event_IAP43837". External link in
- "https://www.umass.edu/newsoffice/article/jack-and-suzy-welch-hold-talk-and-book". External link in
- "https://www.umass.edu/umfa/scholarship-detail/3139%20". External link in
- "http://www.humanesociety.org/about/leadership/board/hsus_board_biographies.html". External link in