Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
|Launched||May 23, 2001|
The Swedish Wikipedia (Svenskspråkiga Wikipedia) is the Swedish-language edition of Wikipedia and was started on 23 May 2001. It is currently the third largest Wikipedia by article-count with its 3,788,989 current articles, where a majority are generated by a bot.
Originally, Swedish Wikipedia rivalled susning.nu, a wiki created by Lars Aronsson in 2001. Susning.nu was by 28 May 2003 the world's second largest wiki. Due to several controversies involving the authority of the founder, objections to Aronsson's decision to allow advertisement on the site, and the lack of proper tools to fight vandalism, several prolific Susning writers switched over to Swedish Wikipedia in 2002, and later more followed. In April 2004, Susning.nu's editing features were closed down to all but a handful of users, which further increased the flow to Swedish Wikipedia. On 14 January 2005, Wikipedia's article count surpassed that of Susning.nu.
In March 2006, the Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet published a comparative evaluation of Swedish Wikipedia, Susning.nu and the online version of Nationalencyklopedin. The evaluation was done by giving a selection of articles to independent subject matter experts for grading. While Nationalencyklopedin came out on top with respect to factuality and neutrality, Swedish Wikipedia received a good overall grade and came out on top with respect to being up to date and having a broad coverage, also including popular culture subjects.
On 27 September 2012 it reached 500,000 articles. On 15 June 2013 it reached 1,000,000 articles and rose from 8th to 5th place. This meant that during 2012 and 2013 the number of articles on Swedish Wikipedia more than doubled. This is in large part due to a community project where bots were used in producing articles for all existing species of plants and animals. When finished, this project alone created more than a million articles, most short and sourced through available online databases on the subject. Already 2014 about half of its articles were created by a single bot.
Swedish Wikipedia's increase after the advertisement on Susning.nu 21 Nov. 2002
A donor enquires about conflict resolution policies at a Wikiträff in Stockholm in 2010
- "Wikipedia: History of HomePage". Archived from the original on 8 June 2001. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- "Kontroversiell robot bakom wikiväxt". Aftonbladet. Retrieved 2017-10-18.
- "List of Wikipedias - Meta". meta.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2017-10-18.
- "Wikipedia:Administratörer". Wikipedia (in Swedish). 2017-10-08.
- "Så fungerar Wikipedia/Wikipedias historia". Lennart Guldbrandsson, sv.wikisource.org. 2010-03-09. Retrieved 2015-11-24.
- Nandra, Ulrika (30 March 2006). "Gratis nätlexikon får bra betyg". Svenska Dagbladet (in Swedish). Archived from the original on 21 June 2011. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- "Grattis Sverige - nu har vi en halv miljon Wikipedia-artiklar!" (Press release) (in Swedish). Wikimedia Sverige. 27 September 2012. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "List of Wikipedias". Meta.wikimedia.org, 2013-06-16. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "Användare:Lsjbot". Sv.wikipedia.org. Retrieved 16 June 2013. (in Swedish) Machine translation: 
- "Swedish Wikipedia surpasses 1 million articles with aid of article creation bot « Wikimedia blog". Blog.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2014-08-03.