Yrvind has made several ocean crossings in his tiny boats. In 1980, Yrvind rounded Cape Horn in 'Bris II', a 20'/5.90m boat of his own design, alone and in the middle of winter, a record for the smallest boat ever to round the Cape. This achievement won Yrvind the 1980 Royal Cruising Club medal for seamanship. In the Roaring Forties he allegedly collided with a whale.
Yrvind designs and builds the boats he sails.
- Yrvind built his first boat 'Bris I' in his mother’s basement 1971-1972. The boat's size was determined by the size of the basement: length 6.00 metres, width 1.72m, depth 0.40/0.90m.
- 'Bris II' was built 1976-1978 with the dimensions length 5.90 metres, width 2.40m, depth 1.40m.
- A later boat, 'Yrvind', at an ambitious 4.1m, eventually turned out to be too small and too slow to make major ocean passages in cold waters.
- In 2008 Sven started work on 'Yrvind.com', a 4.8 metre design inspired in part by Matt Layden's "Paradox". 'Yrvind.com' is built of divinycell, fiberglass, carbon fiber and epoxy. Sven set sail in 'Yrvind.com' for Martinique on August 11th, 2011. He chose the unusual name 'Yrvind.com' in the hope that anyone spotting him on AIS would be curious enough to visit his website, where he encouraged them to report his position - thus being able to keep the world updated on his progress, despite not having any long-range communications equipment on board. Three and a half months after setting out, 'Yrvind.com' made Martinique, on November 26th 2011.
- Sven's latest boat, the 'Exlex', was completed in early 2018. It is 5.76 metres long with a 1.04 metre beam. On May 30th 2018, 79 year old Sven set out in her for New Zealand, which he had hoped to reach sometime in March 2019. Unfortunately, he was forced to abandon his attempt in the beginning of July, and sail to Porto Santo due to design flaws that made Exlex too unstable, slow, and hard to handle. Yrvind has announced he will design an improved model and make another attempt.
Yrvind's three books, "With Bris round Cape Horn" (with Anders Öhman 1985) , "Bris" (1990) and "The Constructor" (2003), are currently in the process of being translated into English.
Yrvind is the inventor of the Bris sextant, a small, angle-measuring instrument used in navigation.
- Sven Yrvind: The Yrvind.com
- Sven Yrvind sets sail towards New Zealand, Follow My Challenge, 30 May 2018. Retrieved on 12 November 2018.
- Lonely navigator arrives at Porto Santo by micro-boat, Madeira Island News, 10 July 2018. Retrieved on 12 November 2018.
- Yrvind, Sven; Öhman, Anders (1985). Med Bris mot Kap Horn: en långfärdsseglares liv och seglatser. Stockholm: Rabén & Sjögren. ISBN 9789113063393.