23 October 1904|
Saint Petersburg, Russian Empire
|Died||30 January 1993
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
|Resting place||Bangalore, Karnataka, India|
|Spouse(s)||Devika Rani (1945–1993)|
Svetoslav Nikolaevich Roerich (Russian: Святослáв Николáевич Рéрих) (23 October 1904 – 30 January 1993), Russian and Indian painter, son of Helena and Nicholas Roerich, studied from a young age under his father's tutelage. He studied architecture in England in 1919 and entered Columbia University's school of architecture in 1920. He won the Grand Prix of the Sesquicentennial Exposition in Philadelphia in 1926.
He lived for many years in India where Jawaharlal Nehru awarded him the International Award and the Padma Bhushan. His paintings of Nehru and Indira Gandhi, adorn the historic Central Parliament Hall in New Delhi. He was married in 1945 to an Indian movie star Devika Rani, widow of producer Himanshu Rai and known as "The First Lady of the Indian Screen". Roerich died in 1993 at the age of 88 and is buried in Bangalore, India.
He had a large plantation on the outskirts of Bangalore, called Tataguni, on Kanakpura road. He and Devika Rani lived here, after their respective deaths the estate got involved in litigation and the case is still in the courts.
Roerich family's residence in Manali, India, is now home for the exquisite gallery of paintings. It is managed by the International Roerich Trust and has been named Roerich Heritage Museum. The gallery was founded by Svetoslav Roerich in 1962.
Honours and awards
- Padma Bhushan (India) (1961)
- Order of Friendship of Peoples
- Order of Madara Horseman (Bulgaria)
- Awarded Jawaharlal Nehru
- Cavalier of the Order of Cyril and Methodius (Bulgaria)
- Honorary Member of the USSR Academy of Arts
- Honorary Doctor of Veliko Tarnovo University (Bulgaria)
- Academician of the Academy of Fine Arts of India
- Helena Roerich
- Nicholas Roerich
- George de Roerich
- Pax Cultura
- Yuli Mikhailovich Vorontsov — President of International Centre of the Roerichs (Moscow)
- Sree Chitra Art Gallery
- Skumin, V. A.; Aunovsky, O. K. (1995). Светоносцы (о семье Рерихов) [The Bringers of the Light (The story of the Roerich family).] (in Russian). Novocheboksarsk: TEROS. ISBN 5-88167-004-3. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- Find A Grave
- International Centre of the Roerichs
- The Roerich & Devika Rani estate board, Karnataka Govt, India
- The Sunday Tribune. October 24, 2004
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Svetoslav Roerich.|
- "SVETOSLAV ROERICH" - A Collective by S. R. Ramaswamy
- Rare Photographs of Svetoslav Roerich with World Leaders
- International Roerich Memorial Trust (India)
|This article about a Russian painter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|