Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
The Swahili Wikipedia (Swahili: Wikipedia ya Kiswahili) is the Swahili language edition of Wikipedia. It is currently one (and the first) of four language editions of Wikipedia in Niger–Congo languages with over 1,000 articles. It is the largest language edition of Wikipedia in a Niger–Congo or Nilo-Saharan language, followed by the Yoruba Wikipedia.
It was mentioned on August 27, 2006 in International Herald Tribune and New York Newsday articles on the struggles of smaller Wikipedia language editions. In 2009, Google sponsored the creation of articles in the Swahili Wikipedia. On June 20, 2009, the Swahili Wikipedia gave its main page a makeover. As of November 2018, it has about 47,000 articles, making it the 90th-largest Wikipedia.
- "List of Wikipedias by language group". wikimedia.org.
- Building Wikipedia in African languages, by Noam Cohen, International Herald Tribune, August 27, 2006.
- "Hungry for New Content, Google Tries to Grow Its Own in Africa". nytimes.com. January 24, 2010. Retrieved October 14, 2014.
- "List of Wikipedias". wikimedia.org.
- (in Swahili) Swahili Wikipedia
- (in Swahili) Swahili Wikipedia mobile version
- Statistics for Swahili Wikipedia by Erik Zachte
|This Wikimedia Foundation-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Swahili-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|