Swami Anand Krishna
Anand Krishna of Indonesia
Krishna Kumar Tolaram Gangtani
1 September 1956
|Over 170 books in Indonesian and English|
|Movement||Self-Empowerment, Ancient History, Culture|
|Awards||Reverend Minister by the Universal Life Church (1997) |
Cultural Doctorate in Sacred Philosophy by the World University, USA (1999)
Ambassador of Parliament of the World’s Religions (2009 – present)
Ambassador for Peace: The Universal Peace Federation (2010)
International Metaphysical Ministry (Jan 2011)
Ph.D. in Comparative Religions, University of Sedona, USA (2012)
His consistently attentiveness and concern about the condition of spiritual soul, local wisdom and culture of Indonesian have been putting in practice by founding many humanitarian initiatives and spiritual establishments, particularly Anand Ashram Foundation (affiliated to United Nations Department of Public Information and Anand Krishna Centres since 15 December 2006)  as Center for Wellbeing and Self-Empowerment since the year of 1991.
He has been promoting Love is the Only Solution  as the way to create an enlightened society by working on InnerPeace, developing CommunalLove, and realizing GlobalHarmony on One Earth under One Sky and in One Humankind.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Humanitarian Initiative
- 3 International Speakers
- 4 The Controversial Trial of Pre-meditated Case Against Anand Krishna
- 5 Selected works
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Born in Solo, Central Java, Indonesia as predicted by the Shuka Nadi is his Karma Bhoomi, on 1 September 1956, Anand had spent his early education in Lucknow, North India, where he met his first spiritual mentor, Sheikh Baba. A simple ice vendor, the saint was not known beyond the area he lived in, but played major role in the "making" of Anand Krishna who was already familiar with Sufi poetry and teachings of Shah Abdul Latief of Sindh, through his father, Tolaram.
Anand Krishna earned his master's degree from a reputed university and was at the top of his career as Director and Shareholder of a Garment Factory in Indonesia, when, suddenly, he fell ill. Medical diagnosis showed that he was suffering an acute Leukemia in critical stage. His body was no longer responded to the medical treatment/therapy for Leukemia applied. Thus, in 1991, at 35, he faced certain death.
After months of suffering to find cures for his illness, mysterious meetings with a Tibetan Lama in the Himalayas, and miraculous recovery from his illness, Anand decided to devote his life to sharing his healing, peace, love and joy.
Later, he shared his personal experiences on the basis : "Be Joyful and Share your Joy to Others".
In the last 25 years, Anand has spoken to millions through television shows, radio talks, inhouse trainings, books, newspaper interviews and articles, as well as daily meetings and workshops held at Anand Ashram (affiliated with United Nations), One Earth Retreat Center  Ciawi, Anand Krishna Center and Ashram@Ubud, the four centers of meditation established by him in the Indonesian Capital of Jakarta, the suburban city of Bogor, the palatial ancient city of Yogyakarta, and the beautiful island of Bali.
He has also inspired several popular movements, and Centers for Self Development, among others:
- International Bali Meditators’ Festival (IBMF) 
- Forum for Revival of Human Spirit – which has given free Self Development Programs to more than 25,000 teachers within last 5 years.
- Anand Krishna Centres in many major cities, and L’Ayurveda Healing Centers in Jakarta and Bali.
- AK Global Co-Operation, a national co-operative society with branches in several cities.
- The National Integration Movement, with almost 30 branches all over Indonesia and overseas representation, including one in the Middle East 
- California Bali Friendship Association 
- Brazil Indonesia Friendship Association 
- Secret Garden of The Mother Divine, Dedicated to Healing Mother Earth and All Her Children, located in Kuta (Bali)
- AK Education Foundation, First Interfaith School in Bali, for which land has been acquired (about 2,500 sq meters in the prime area of Kuta)
- Bali Dvipa Charitable Clinic in Bali
- One Earth Integral Education Foundation 
- Regular Free Medical and Trauma Relief Camps
- Global Harmony Monument in Ashram@Ubud – Bali 
- The Charter for Global Harmony 
Anand had been a source on all major National Medias, several Regional Medias – both Print and Electronic. He had a weekly column in one of the Major Print Medias, and a monthly TV as well as Radio Shows - both in Bali Island. He also writes regularly for several other medias nationwide.
In Jakarta, he has completed a 13-episode serial on "Q" and "Swara" TV Channels, entitled "Building Indonesia Anew with Anand Krishna". Currently, the next season of the show is already on air, which is titled "Building The World Anew with Anand Krishna".
Among other prominent members of Indonesian Society, those who have so far appeared on these shows are the 4th President of Indonesia, The Abdurrachman Wahid; Special Police Commissioner in charge of Narcotics Bureau, Mr. Mangku Pastika of Bali Bombing Case Fame; Sultan of Yogyakarta; The Ambassador of Australia for Indonesia; Several MPs, Artists, etcetera.
However, his most outstanding contribution and legacy are his 170 over books published within last 18 years with more than half a million copies sold all over Indonesia. He has also been becoming the trendsetter of Meditation as lifestyle in this archipelago. One of his books, in fact one of the three titles in English, "Voice of Indonesia" was released in California and discussed on the Campus Radio of University of California at Santa Barbara.
Conference on Sufi Movements in Contemporary Islam
After attending The 60th Annual DPI/NGO Conference of United Nation " Climate Change : How It Impacts Us All" in September 2007, Anand Krisha was invited to present his paper on Sufi Solutions to World’s Problems in Conference about Sufi, held by National University of Singapore and Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, on August 4 – 5, 2008
Earth Dialogues on Water Planet 2008
Anand Krishna became one of speakers in Earth Dialogues on Water Planet (Dialogos da Terra no Planeta Aqua) hosted by Government of Minas Gerais and Green Cross International in Belo Horizonte, Brazil on 26 – 28 November 2008. The Dialogues adopted the " Minas Gerais Charter" prescribing targeted action plans to further sustainable development both in Brazil and globally.
At the event, Anand Krishna presented his paper on Water of Life, Wisdom of the Ancient – In Pursuit of the Indigenous Wisdom of Sundaland and South America to Save Our Planet, a spiritual study of how important water for the life of man in this planet based on the local wisdom and culture. His paper had been published as a book with the same title in 2009.
Ambassador of Parliament of the World’s Religion
Swami Anand Krishna also attended Forum Parliament of the World’s Religions as one of the speakers in Melbourne, Australia, on Dec 3-9 2009, by presenting "Addressing Religious Radicalism in Indonesia : Appreciating and Cultivating Bhinneka Tunggal Ika (Unity in Diversity) and Pancasila (Indonesia’s Preambule)". He had been appointed as Ambassador of Parliament of the World’s Religion Council since September 2009.
The Controversial Trial of Pre-meditated Case Against Anand Krishna
From the beginning of his works as spiritual humanist, Anand Krishna has also been acclaimed as "phenomenon" by both his critics and sympathizers. His critics wonder, "What makes him popular? There is nothing extraordinary about him." While, His sympathizers appreciate his passion for promoting peace among different sections of society and acclaim: "He comes from The Source of All Wisdom." 
In 2000, his books were labelled heresy, and the publisher was forced to recall his book from bookstores’ shelves nationwide.
Then, after unsuccessful constantly being persecuted for his works and activities in promoting religious freedom and interfaith harmony in this country, in the early of 2010, a group of former students prosecuted Anand of sexual harassment. This was an old but effective ‘dirty’ trick used to assassin one’s character, lending the hands of mass media to the downfall of public figures. Strangely, this was confirmed by the accuser’s lawyer Agung Mattauch himself: "Harassment is just an entry point for a more serious problem, religious blasphemy".
According to the study and examination of Professor Julia D Howell PhD, an faculty of anthropology of Western Sydney University, there was a strong allegation of using the mass media, both print and electronic, as sites for the contestation of religious pluralism in Indonesia since the restoration of effective democracy in 1998. This period can be seen as one of destabilization and dispute over divergent notions of religiosity as properly communalist or autonomous, with the scales tipping towards the communalist since the Indonesian Council of Ulama pronounced a series of fatwa against pluralism and liberalism in religion in 2005.
Standing high as the legendary Mount Meru, Anand Krishna wavers not an inch from his course of action, in spite of all kinds of trials and turbulences.
Anand Krishna's books and audiobooks (details below) are available.
- Anand Krishna, Life – A Traveler’s Guide to Journey Within (Gramedia Pustaka Utama) 2003 ISBN 979-22-0157-2
- Anand Krishna, Soul Quest – Journey from Death to Immortality (Gramedia Pustaka Utama) 2003 ISBN 979-22-0153-X
- Anand Krishna, "Voice of Indonesia" (AK Global Co-Operation) 2007 ISBN 978-979-16787-0-4
- Anand Krishna, "Christ of Kasmiri – The Incredible Saga of Sage Yuzu Asaph" (AK Global Co-Operation) July 2008 ISBN 978-979-16787-3-5
- Anand Krishna, "Tri Hita Karana : Ancient Balinese Wisdom for Neo Humans" (AK Global Co-Operation) 2008 ISBN 978-979-16787-5-9
- Anand Krishna, "Sufi Solution to World’s Problems" (AK Global Co-Operation) 2008 ISBN 978-979-16787-4-2
- Anand Krishna, "From Bali to Belo Horizonte – In Pursuit of the Indigenous Wisdom of Sundaland and South America to Save Our Planet" (AK Global Co-Operation) 2009 ISBN 978-979-16787-7-3
- Anand Krishna, "One Earth One Sky One Humankind – Living Prayerfully in the Spirit of Unity in Diversity" (Gramedia Pustaka Utama) 2009 ISBN 978-979-22512-6-5
- Anand Krishna, "The Hanuman Factor : Life Lessons from the Most Successful Spiritual CEO" (Gramedia Pustaka Utama) 2010 ISBN 978-979-22-5296-5
- Anand Krishna, "The Wisdom of Bali : The Sacred Science of Celebrating Heaven on Earth" (Gramedia Pustaka Utama) January 2010 ISBN 978-979-22-6318-3
- Anand Krishna, "The Zen Yoga : An Integral Approach to Spirituality" (Parimal Publication India) 2011 ISBN 978-81-7110-373-7
- Anand Krishna, "Sai Anand Gita: Lord’s Song of Bliss Eternal" (Sri Sathya Sai Books and AK Global Co-Operation) Nov 2011 ISBN 978-602-95405-5-0
- Anand Krishna, "Guru Yoga : The Way Within" (AK Global Co-Operation) January 2012 ISBN 978-602-95405-6-7
- Anand Krishna. "The Wisdom of Sundaland : The Ancient Unrecorded Prehistory of Indonesia Archipelago" (Gramedia Pustaka Utama) 2012 ISBN 978-979-22-8657-1
- Anand Krishna, "The Kaligis Success Factor, Lesson from a rare Man of Law" (Gramedia Pustaka Utama) 2013 ISBN 978-979-22-9944-1
- Anand Krishna, "Dvipantara Dharma Sastra : Sara Samuccaya-Slokantara-Sevaka Dharma, Ancient Indonesian Wisdom for Modern Human" (Centre of Vedic and Dharmic Studies) May 2015 ISBN 978-602-17679-4-8
- Anand Krishna, "Live Yoga : The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali for Modern Times" (Gramedia Pustaka Utama) 2015 ISBN 978-602-03-1529-4
- Lee, Michele (2006) No run-of-the-mill spiritual guru The Jakarta Post, Feature, August 29, 2006
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 5 November 2015.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Suryakusuma, Julia (2011, April) When Prosecution becomes Persecution. The Jakarta Post, Opinion. Retrieved from http://www.thejakartapost.com/
- Howell, Julia D. (2013) Pluralist currents and counter-currents in the Indonesian mass media : The Case of Anand Krishna, In Chiara Formichi (Ed), Religious Pluralism, State and Society in Asia (pp 216-235). United Kingdom: Routledge Publisher.
- Official Website
- Anand Krishna’s Articles at The Bali Times Leading English Newspaper in Bali – Indonesia
- Complete articles of Anand Krishna at The Jakarta Post Leading English Newspaper in Indonesia
- UN Press Release 19 December 2006
- ABC Radio National - Australia "On Religious Pluralism in Indonesia"
- The Heart Child of Anand Krishna
- The Intriguing Case of Anand Krishna
- Help Free Anand Krishna: An Innocent Man, ThriveMovement, California, United State of America 02/14/2013
- When Prosecution becomes Persecution, The Jakarta Post, April 21, 2011