|Part of a series on|
Karpatri Ji Maharaj (Swāmi Karpātrī; 1907–1982; born as Har Narayan Ojha in a village called Bhatni of Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh, India) so called because he would eat only what would come in his palm 'kar', as the bowl 'paatr', was a monk in the Hindu dashanami monastic tradition.
Life and Works
He was a disciple of Shankaracharya of Jyotirmath Swami Brahmananda Saraswati. He was also the founder of Dharma Sangha in Varanasi where he spent most of his life. He was a teacher in the Advaita Vedanta tradition of Hindu philosophy. According to French indologist, Alain Daniélou, Karpatri initiated him into Shaivite Hinduism.
Books 1.The Linga and the Great Goddess (Lingopsana Rahasya and Shri Bhagavati Tattva) by Swami Karpatri. https://www.exoticindiaart.com/m/book/details/linga-and-great-goddess-lingopsana-rahasya-and-shri-bhagavati-tattva-by-swami-karpatri-IHD007/
2.Vichar Piyush - Selected Writing of Dharma Samrat Shri Karapatri Ji. https://www.exoticindiaart.com/m/book/details/vichar-piyush-selected-writing-of-dharma-samrat-shri-karapatri-ji-NZH121/
3. Bhakti Sudha, Geeta press, Gorakhpur https://www.exoticindiaart.com/m/book/details/Bhakti-Sudha-selected-writing-of-dharma-samrat-shri-karapatri-ji-NZH121
4. Gopi Geet: Darshanik Vivechan https://www.exoticindiaart.com/m/book/details/Gopi Geet -selected-writing-of-dharma-samrat-shri-karapatri-ji-NZH121
In 1948, Swami Karpatri founded the Ram Rajya Parishad, a traditionalist Hindu party. He led a movement against the Hindu Code Bill but he was unsuccessful in blocking it. He was also a prominent agitator in 1966 anti cow-slaughter agitation.
On 18 April 1948, he founded the newspaper Sanmarg which promoted Sanatan Dharma and also advocated the Hindu Code Bill and voiced opposition on cow slaughters.
Lutgendorf, Philip. 1991. The Life of a Text: Performing the Rāmcaritmānas of Tulsidas. Berkeley: University of California Press, pp. 384–387.
- Swami Karpatri The Linga and the great goddess Indica bolls, ISBN 818656988X
- Rama, Swami (1999) Himalayan Institute, Living With the Himalayan Masters, page 247
- Unknown author, Portrait of Alain Danielou Official web site of Alain Danielou, retrieved Sept 8, 2012
- Hindu code bill and Dr.B.R.Ambedkar by Sohanlal Shastri
- Mahila Patrakarita (in Hindi). Prabhat Prakashan. 2012. p. 73. ISBN 9789350481189. Retrieved 14 December 2016.
|This article about a person notable in Hinduism is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|