25 April 1922
|Died||23 November 2001 (aged 79)
|Part of a series on|
Krishnananda Saraswati (25 April 1922 – 23 November 2001) was a disciple of Sivananda Saraswati and served as the General Secretary of the Divine Life Society in Rishikesh, India from 1958 until 2001. Author of more than 200 texts, and lecturing extensively, on yoga, religion, and metaphysics, Krishnananda was a prolific theologian and philosopher.
Krishnananda was President of the Sivananda Literature Research Institute and the Sivananda Literature Dissemination Committee. He served as editor of the Divine Life Society’s monthly paper, Divine Life, for 20 years.
Subbaraya, rechristened Krishnananda by his mentor Sivananda Saraswati, was born on 25 April 1922 into an orthodox Madhva family. He learnt Sanskrit at an early age and took to reading and memorising Sanskrit works. His understanding of Hindu scriptures predisposed him towards Advaita philosophy. He yearned for spiritual learning and renunciation, however, his father persuaded him into accepting a government job at Hospet Government Training School in Bellary in 1943. He fell ill there and returned home. In 1944, he left his home to visit Sivananda Ashram in Rishikesh. He worked as an editor in the Ashram and in 1948, on Sivananda’s request, he wrote his first book Realisation of the Absolute.
In 1961, he became the general secretary of Divine Life Society. He spent his life in the Ashram giving lectures and writing over 40 books on philosophy, Hindu scriptures, yoga, meditation, mysticism and poetry till his death on 23 November 2001.
- Jones, Constance; Ryan, James D. (2006). Encyclopedia of Hinduism. Infobase Publishing. pp. 244–5. ISBN 978-0-8160-7564-5.
- Deutsch, Eliot (1973). Advaita Vedanta: A Philosophical Reconstruction. University of Hawaii Press. p. 25. ISBN 978-0-8248-0271-4.
- "Yoga of Synthesis". sivanandaonline.org. 2010-11-05. Retrieved 2010-11-05.
- Chidananda, S.; Gunasekaran, K.J.A.; Hridayananda, S.; Keikens, Narayan; Krishnamurthy, V.; Krishnananda, S.; Madhavananda, S.; Mandali, Matru; Naik, B.R.; Nath, Dr. Bharat Chandra; Narayanananda, S.; Prasad, Ganesh; Randev, Prof. Vasudav; Rao, Seshagiri; Sachdev, Medha; Sahai, Baldeo; Sinha, D.M.; Sivachidananda, S.; Sivananda, S.; Tushar, Chattopadhyay; Vandana, Mataji; Viveka, Mataji; Yagnavalkyananandaji, S.; (1999) A Messenger of Peace and Wisdom. Rishikesh: Yoga Vedanta Forest Academy Press.
- Divine Life (2001). "Swami Krishnananda Attains Mahasamadhi" Divine Life. December 2001: pp. 1–5
- "His Holiness Sri Swami Krishnananda Saraswaiti Maharaj". dlshq.org. 2010-11-05. Retrieved 2010-11-05.
- "Swami Krishnananda's website". 12 April 2013.
- Krishnananda, Swami. A Sacramental Life. Rishikesh: Yoga Vedanta Forest Academy Press. 2004
- Krishnananda, Swami. An Introduction to the Philosophy of Yoga. Rishikesh: Y.V.F.A. Press. 3rd ed. 2000 ISBN 81-7052-155-6
- Krishnananda, Swami. My Life. Rishikesh: Y.V.F.A. Press. 1998
Media related to Krishnananda Saraswati at Wikimedia Commons