Panjab University Swami Sarvanand Giri Regional Centre, Hoshiarpur
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Latin: Palus Sarvanand Giri (Tellus Centre, Panjab Universitas)|
|Motto||Sanskrit: तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय|
Motto in English
|Lead us unto the Light from Darkness|
|Chancellor||Vice-president of India,Shri. Hamid Ansari|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Arun Kumar Grover|
|Director||Prof H. S. Bains|
|Undergraduates||B.E.: 1,200 students; LLB: 670 students|
|Address||Bajwara-Una Road, Hoshiarpur, Bajwara, Hoshiarpur, Punjab, India|
PU, Chandigarh was established in 1882 at Lahore (now in Pakistani Punjab). It has 188 affiliated colleges spread over Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Chandigarh & Regional Centers at Muktsar, Ludhiana and Hoshiarpur. The University has 75 teaching and research departments and 15 centers/chairs. The campus has well equipped departments, laboratories and workshops for teaching students. It is furnished with a good library, dispensary, canteen and hostel facility for over 600 students.
- 1 History
- 2 Departments
- 3 Admissions
- 4 Collaboration
- 5 Training & Placement Cell
- 6 Student Welfare Society
- 7 Clubs and societies
- 8 Official magazine
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Dr Lajpat Rai Munger, a US citizen and the owner of largest blueberry farms in the world, who originally belonged to the village of Nangal Shahidan Hoshiarpur, adopted Swami Sarvanand Giri Maharaj as his guru. He bought 20 acres of property in the name of his guruji in Bajwara village on Una Road, 5 km from the court of Hoshiarpur and constructed a campus. Later[when?], he handed it over to Panjab University. In February 2006, the campus became the Regional Centre of Panjab University.
U.I.E.T., Hoshiarpur (Engineering Dept.)
The Engineering Department of PUSSGRC combines several technical streams including more than 1000 budding engineers . The "Computer Science and Engineering department", The "Electronics and Communication department", The "Mechanical Engineering department", The "Electrical and Electronics department" and "The Information Technology department",
- B.E. Electronics and Communication Engineering
- B.E. Computer Science and Engineering
- B.E. Mechanical Engineering
- B.E. Information technology (started w.e.f. session 2011–12)
- B.E. Electrical and Electronics Engineering (new admissions closed w.e.f. session 2011–12)
DCSA, Hoshiarpur (M.C.A Department)
PUSSGRC offers three year, full-time MCA degree. The course covers various aspects of computational theory, programming, algorithm design and optimization, work and data-base management, mobile technologies, mathematics, probability, statistics, accounting, finance etc. The campus of PUSSGRC includes experts in Computer Science and Application department. The department constitutes of graduates from a spectrum of fields who desired high to pursue their post-graduation by exploring the ever unraveling world of computers.
- Master of Computer Applications (M.C.A)
University Institute of Legal Studies (Law Department)
PUSSGRC provides education in the sphere of Indian law. The University Institute of Legal Studies Hoshiarpur provides the degree of B.A.LL.B. after a full 5 years. Also, the department welcomes graduates who wish to study for an LLB, which takes 3 years.
- Bachelor of Laws (L.L.B)
- Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Laws B.A LL.B. (Honours)
Admission in B.E is on the basis of JEE-Mains (formerly AIEEE). Candidates have to apply for JAC, Chandigarh. The candidates having compartment in 10+2 examination held in the current year will not be eligible for admission in any course.
- MCA and LLB/B.A.LL.B admissions are through the PU CET test merits.
- Texas Instruments - Provide assistance in terms of training and equipment for embedded systems.
- INFOSYS - Develop programming skills of promising programmers.
- IBM - PUSSGRC has an IBM center of excellence. Conducting workshops, evaluation and technology sharing.
Training & Placement Cell
PUSSGRC has an active and Training and Placement Cell headed by Mr. Rajeev Dang (ME,LLB,MBA). The cell looks after the various training and placement activities which are undertaken by the teacher and student coordinators of the cell under the guidance of Dr. Satish Kumar. The members of the cell, students from all the departments, are selected through personal interviews conducted by the faculty members of the cell. Besides creating different job avenues for the students, the cell ensures that students are well equipped to meet the requirements of the industry. The students of the institute have been placed in reputed firms like Birlasoft, Infosys, Accenture, Igate Patni, Quark, Dell, Infogain, Nucleus Software, Wipro, Ambuja Cement, IBM, Mahindra & Mahindra, Sml Isuzu & the Indian Army.
The first annual HR meet of PUSSGRC was successfully organized by the Training & Placement Cell on 13 April 2013 as an initiative to familiarize the students with the professional world. The meet was graced by the presence of Prof. Naval Kishore (Dean, College Development Council, Panjab University, Chandigarh), Mr. R. L. Kapoor (Advisor & Secretary to the Vice-Chancellor, Panjab University, Chandigarh), Prof. S. K. Chadha (Director, Central Placement Cell, Panjab University, Chandigarh), Mr. Amandeep Singh Marwaha (Training & Placement Officer, UIAMS, Panjab University, Chandigarh). There were two interactive panel discussions during the event; the topics of discussion were: "Meeting Industry Deficit with Empowered Youth" and "Understanding Upcoming Industry Trends".
Student Welfare Society
Students have the capability to make or break an institution; and play a vital role in shaping the future prospects of the same. The Students Welfare Society of PUSSGRC, Hoshiarpur headed by Dr. Virender Negi(Student Welfare Incharge) holds responsibility for various extra-curricular and cultural activities in the campus. Students from all departments of B.E., MCA and Law form the working student body of the society. The Student Welfare Society has successfully organized many events like guest lectures, sports meet, annual fest etc.. Some of the successful events were AAROHAN 2009, AAROHAN 2010, ANANT 2011, ANANT 2012 and ANANT 2K13.
Visited by Chief Justice Of India
Chief Justice of India (CJI) Altamas Kabir visited Panjab University’s Swami Sarvanand Giri Regional Center in Hoshiarpur, Punjab. Aimed to sensitise people about illegal immigration and fraudulent marriages involving NRIs, Supreme Court Judge and Executive Chairman of the National Legal Services Authority Justice D K Jain presided and Punjab and Haryana High Court Chief Justice A K Sikri, the patron-in-chief of the PLSA, also participated.
ANANT 2K13 - the annual techno-cultural fest of PUSSGRC was held on 4–6 April 2013 on the theme "Green Earth". It vowed to stimulate a pulse to work with oneness towards a verdure mis-en-scene.[vague] The working body planned to revive the voyage by highlighting technical research and development, cultural awakening and also spreading the word of a clean and green environment. The fest was graced by the presence of MP Sh. Avinash Rai Khanna and the second day of the event witnessed a guest lecture by Prof Renu Vig (Director, UIET Chandigarh) on Digital Image Processing. The 3-day fiesta was marked by technical events such as Robo Soccer, Mud Rally, Line Sychophant, Circuit King, Robo Wars, Electrical Junkyard, Code Caffeine etc., literary events such as Braniac, Symposium-the group discussion, Promethean fantasy-the picture declamation, Spur of the moment. All these events were aimed at strengthening the cultural and literary aspects and giving the students a platform to explore the horizons of these fields.
Besides this, there were cultural events like Cotillion - the dance competition and A-la-mode - the fashion show. The last day of the fest was marked by a lecture on "Right to information" by Prof GK Chattrath and the 3-day techno cultural gala involved participation from student community from the campus and from other colleges as well. The star night featured famous Punjabi singer Geeta Zaildar.
Clubs and societies
- Swastik Theatre Group
- Natyashala(The Official Theatre Club)
- D Cult ( Dance club )
- Symphonic Vibrations(Official Musical Group of PUSSGRC)
- Yantrix ( Technical Club )
- Literary Club
- Sports & Cultural Club
- Friends Welfare Society (A registered NGO of PUSSGRC)
- PUSSGRC-SAE India Collegiate Club
- PRATIBIMB - reflecting PUSSGRC is the first official magazine of PUSSGRC, Hoshiarpur. The name was chosen as the magazine is meant to reflect the achievements and talents of PUSSGRC.
- It is an initiative to bring out the creativity and the potential of students of the college in the limelight, showing the creative side of the students and also as a reflection of their innovative minds. It is a medium to unite the students of all three departments (Engineering, Law, and MCA) to work as a team.
- "PU,chandigarh". Panjab University, Chandigarh. pussgrc.
- "U.I.E.T.,Hoshiarpur". Engineering Department of PUSSGRC. pussgrc.
- "DCSA,Hoshiarpur". MCA department of PUSSGRC. pussgrc.
- "Law Dept.". Law department of PUSSGRC. pussgrc.
- "JEE-Mains". Joint Entrance Examination-Mains(AIEEE). pussgrc.
- "JAC,Chandigarh". Joint Admission Committee. pussgrc.
- "T&P Cell". Training & Placement Cell of PUSSGRC. pussgrc.
- Panjab University Swami Sarvanand Giri Regional Campus(PU-SSGRC). Facebook page.
- "SWS". Student Welfare Society of PUSSGRC. pussgrc. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "Swastik". Theater Group of PUSSGRC. pussgrc.
- "Natyashala". Theater Group of PUSSGRC. pussgrc.
- "D CULT". Dance Group of PUSSGRC. pussgrc.
- "Symphonic Vibrations". Musical Group of PUSSGRC. pussgrc.
- "Yantrix". Technical Club of PUSSGRC. pussgrc.