Swamp Thing (2019 TV series)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original network||DC Universe|
Abby Arcane returns home to Houma, Louisiana to investigate a deadly swamp-borne virus, where she develops a bond with scientist Alec Holland. After Holland tragically dies, Arcane discovers the mysteries of the swamp and that Holland may not be dead after all.
Cast and characters
- Andy Bean and Derek Mears as Alec Holland / Swamp Thing: As the elemental superhero Swamp Thing, Holland struggles with holding onto his humanity while defending the town and the natural world at large. Bean portrays Holland while Mears portrays the Swamp Thing.
- Crystal Reed as Abby Arcane: A CDC doctor investigating a horrific life-threatening epidemic in her hometown.
- Maria Sten as Liz Tremayne: A local newspaper reporter and bartender who is a close childhood friend of Abby Arcane.
- Jeryl Prescott as Madame Xanadu: A blind fortune teller whose psychic abilities can reveal the future.
- Virginia Madsen as Maria Sunderland: The wife of Avery Sunderland, whose grief over the loss of her daughter Shawna returns with Abby's return home, which draws Maria into the supernatural mysteries of the swamp.
- Will Patton as Avery Sunderland: A prominent businessman in Houma who gives back to the community, yet is determined to harness the power of the swamp for profit.
- Henderson Wade as Matt Cable: A lawman along with his mother Lucilia, who finds himself in dire straits when supernatural events begin to threaten the town.
- Kevin Durand as Jason Woodrue: A biogeneticist brought in to study the properties of the swamp, leading him to become fixated on unlocking the potential of it, which has tragic and monstrous consequences for him.
- Jennifer Beals as Lucilia Cable: The "tough as nails and pragmatic" sheriff of Marais with a strong devotion to her son Matt.
- Ian Ziering as Daniel Cassidy / Blue Devil: A former stuntman who became semi-famous after playing the demonic Blue Devil in a film looking to reclaim his former fame.
- Leonardo Nam as Harlan Edwards: A gay CDC specialist who is Abby’s second-in-command.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date||Prod.|
|1||TBA||Len Wiseman||Mark Verheiden and Gary Dauberman||May 31, 2019||TBA|
On May 2, 2018, it was announced that DC Universe had given the production a script-to-series order. Mark Verheiden and Gary Dauberman were expected to write the first episode of the series and executive produce alongside James Wan, Michael Clear. Rob Hackett was set to serve as a co-producer. Production companies involved with the series were slated to include Atomic Monster Productions and Warner Bros. Television. On September 4, 2018, it was reported that Len Wiseman would direct the series' first episode in addition to serving as an executive producer.
On April 17, 2019, it was announced that production for the series had been unexpectedly cut short due to creative differences with DC Universe's parent company WarnerMedia thus reducing the original episode order from 13 to 10 episodes.
In September 2018, it was announced that Crystal Reed and Maria Sten had been cast in the main roles of Abby Arcane and Liz Tremayne, respectively. In late October and early November 2018, more series regulars were revealed, with Jeryl Prescott cast as Madame Xanadu, Virginia Madsen cast as Maria Sunderland, Will Patton cast as Avery Sunderland. Andy Bean cast as Alec Holland with Derek Mears as the Swamp Thing, Henderson Wade cast as Matt Cable, and Kevin Durand cast as Jason Woodrue.
In September 2018, Jennifer Beals was cast in the recurring role of Sheriff Lucilia Cable. In December 2018, Ian Ziering joined the cast in the recurring role of Daniel Cassidy / Blue Devil, and a month later, Leonardo Nam was cast as Harlan Edwards in a recurring role.
Swamp Thing has tentatively been scheduled by DC Universe to be released from May 2019 to late August 2019. On March 29, 2019, it was announced that the series is to be released on May 31, 2019.
- Brian Tyler to Score DC Universe’s ‘Swamp Thing’
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 2, 2018). "'Swamp Thing' Drama Series From James Wan In Works At DC Digital Service, 'Metropolis' Heads To Redevelopment". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on May 3, 2018. Retrieved May 3, 2018.
- Hipes, Patrick (November 6, 2018). "'Swamp Thing' Finds Its Swamp Thing, Sets Andy Bean & Derek Mears For Roles". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on November 7, 2018. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 6, 2018). "'Swamp Thing': Crystal Reed To Star As Abby Arcane In DC Universe Series". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on September 7, 2018. Retrieved September 8, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (September 7, 2018). "'Swamp Thing': Maria Sten To Co-Star As Liz Tremayne In DC Universe Series". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on September 7, 2018. Retrieved September 8, 2018.
- Boucher, Geoff (October 26, 2018). "'Swamp Thing': Jeryl Prescott of 'Walking Dead' Joins DC Series As Madame Xanadu". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on October 27, 2018. Retrieved October 26, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (November 1, 2018). "'Swamp Thing': Virginia Madsen Cast As Maria Sunderland In DC Universe Series". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on November 2, 2018. Retrieved November 1, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 5, 2018). "'Swamp Thing': Will Patton Cast As Avery Sunderland In DC Universe Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 6, 2018.
- Boucher, Geoff (November 7, 2018). "'Riverdale' Actor Henderson Wade Joins 'Swamp Thing' Cast As Matt Cable". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on November 8, 2018. Retrieved November 16, 2018.
- Boucher, Geoff (November 12, 2018). "DC Universe: 'Lost' Actor Kevin Durand Joins 'Swamp Thing' As Villain". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on November 12, 2018. Retrieved November 16, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (September 28, 2018). "'Swamp Thing': Jennifer Beals Joins DC Universe Series In Recurring Role". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on September 28, 2018. Retrieved September 28, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (December 12, 2018). "'Swamp Thing': Ian Ziering To Play Daniel Cassidy In DC Universe Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (January 4, 2018). "'Westworld's Leonardo Nam Joins 'Swamp Thing'; Illeana Douglas In 'Goliath'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (September 4, 2018). "'Swamp Thing': Len Wiseman To Direct & Exec Produce DC Universe Series As Part Of Overall Deal With Warner Bros. TV". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on October 27, 2018. Retrieved September 4, 2018.
- Webb Mitovich, Matt (March 29, 2019). "DC Universe Reveals Stargirl Costume, Sets Swamp Thing Premiere Date". TV Line. Retrieved March 30, 2019.
- Little, Morgan (July 19, 2018). "Comic-Con 2018: Hands-on with DC's bold, new streaming platform". CNET. Archived from the original on July 19, 2018. Retrieved July 20, 2018.
- Goldberg, Lesley (April 17, 2019). "'Swamp Thing' Order Reduced as DC Universe's Role in WarnerMedia Streaming Plans Unclear". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 18, 2019.
- Ingram, Hunter (November 29, 2018). "'Swamp Thing' films on the water at Greenfield Lake". Wilmington Star News. Archived from the original on November 30, 2018. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- Ridgely, Charlie (October 4, 2018). "DC Universe Originals Release Schedule Revealed". comicbook.com. Archived from the original on October 13, 2018. Retrieved October 13, 2018.