Swan View, Western Australia
Perth, Western Australia
|Population||8,027 (2011 census)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,848/sq mi)|
|Area||7.3 km2 (2.8 sq mi)|
|Location||6 km (4 mi) from Midland|
Swan View is an eastern suburb of Perth, Western Australia. Its local government areas are the City of Swan and the Shire of Mundaring. It is 25 kilometres (16 mi) from Perth in the Perth Hills on the edge of the Darling Scarp, just to the west of the John Forrest National Park, east of Roe Highway and north of the Great Eastern Highway.
The Brown Park community recreation ground is the location of the long-standing annual Swan View Agricultural Show.
The railway station of Swan View was the important control point for traffic through and around the Swan View Tunnel until it closed for traffic on 13 February 1966. Today, Swan View is served by Transperth buses from Midland, operated by the Public Transport Authority, while the Transwa Avonlink/Prospector railway line to Northam and beyond runs along Swan View's western edge.
Swan View is bounded by the Avonlink/Prospector railway line to the west, the former railway (now part of the Railway Reserves Heritage Trail) to the south, John Forrest National Park to the east, and a line east from Blackadder Creek (in part incorporating O'Connor Road and Murchison Drive) to the north. The suburb is almost entirely residential and parkland.
At the ABS 2001 census, Swan View had a population of 8,080 people living in 3,165 dwellings. About 15% of the population are of Southern or Eastern European origins.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Swan View, Western Australia.|
- Elliot, Ian (1983). Mundaring - A History of the Shire (2nd ed.). Mundaring: Mundaring Shire. ISBN 0-9592776-0-9.
- Spillman, Ken (2003). Life was meant to be here: community and local government in the Shire of Mundaring. Mundaring: Mundaring Shire. ISBN 0-9592776-3-3.
- Watson, Lindsay (1995). The railway history of Midland Junction : commemorating the centenary of Midland Junction, 1895-1995. Swan View, W.A: L " S Drafting in association with the Shire of Swan and the Western Australian Light Railway Preservation Association. ISBN 0-646-24461-2.
- Swan View Community Association
- Mundaring and Hills Historical Society Website
- Swan View on Geoscience Australia
|This Perth location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|