Swanpool Wood and Furnace Grove
- For other places with the same name, see Swanpool (disambiguation)
|Site of Special Scientific Interest|
Example: Greater Butterfly Orchid
|Area of Search||Gloucestershire|
|Natural England website|
Swanpool Wood and Furnace Grove (grid reference ) is a 13.59-hectare (33.6-acre) biological Site of Special Scientific Interest (a conservation designation denoting a protected area in the United Kingdom), in Gloucestershire in South West England. The site is listed in the 'Forest of Dean Local Plan Review' as a Key Wildlife Site (KWS).
It is in the Wye Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, an area of some importance in southern Great Britain, and supports many rare species. The woods and groves are important areas of woodland conservation work, coppicing and replanting. The semi-natural woodland is plentiful and continuous along the gorge. There are two separate SSSI designations for the gorge being Lower Wye Gorge and Upper Wye Gorge.
The site comprises a block of ancient broad-leaved woodland on Carboniferous limestone shales. There is an Old Red Sandstone outcrop to the west. There are various streams and flushes in the north-east of Swanpool Wood. The growth reflects the nature of the soils. The woodland is made up of Ash, Small-leaved Lime and Hazel. The damper areas support Alder.
Bramble, Dog's Mercury, Bluebell are prevalent in the ground flora together with ferns and ivy, Hart's-tongue and wavy hair-grass. Uncommon species include Herb Paris, Greater Butterfly Orchid and Narrow-leaved Bitter-cress.
- Natural England SSSI information on citation, map and unit detail
- Forest of Dean District Local Plan Review, adopted November 2005, Appendix D 'Nature Conservation Site Designations Within the Forest of Dean District', Sites of Special Scientific Interest
- Forest of Dean District Local Plan Review, adopted November 2005, Appendix D 'Nature Conservation Site Designations Within the Forest of Dean District', Key Wildlife Sites
- Information on Wye Valley Woodlands/ Coetiroedd Dyffryn Gwy Special Area of Conservation designation
- Joint Nature Conservation Committee Listing of Special Areas of Conservation
- Natural England (SSSI information)
- Revine Woods guide to the Wye Valley, with an article on Swanpool