Swansea University School of Medicine
Coordinates: Swansea University College of Medicine is a medical school on the Swansea University campus with additional teaching centres located throughout South and West Wales, including Cefn Coed, Singleton Hospital and Morriston Hospital in Swansea, Prince Philip Hospital in Llanelli, Withybush Hospital in Haverfordwest and Bronglais Hospital in Aberystwyth. The college also has an extensive network of primary care teaching centres.
The college offers a four-year graduate only entry medicine programme (MB BCh) and higher degree programmes, including PhD, MD, MCh and Master's degrees. The college has three main activities: learning and teaching, biomedical and healthcare research, and business interaction.
The Swansea University College of Medicine was formed (as the School of Medicine) in 2001 as a teaching and academic centre in collaboration with the University of Wales College of Medicine (itself now part of Cardiff University). The school launched a 4-year fast track graduate entry programme in 2004 in collaboration with Cardiff University.
The Institute of Life Science (ILS) is the research and innovation arm of the College. It comprises two purpose built research facilities (ILS1 and ILS2) which represent an £80 million investment at Swansea University's Singleton Park campus in Swansea, equipped with an IBM Blue-C supercomputer.
In 2012 ILS2 became home to one of 4 UK centres for eHealth Research (HeRCs) funded by a Medical Research Council led consortium of funders. The college also hosts the EPSRC National Mass Spectrometry Service.
- BMA Health Policy and Economic Research Unit - School of Medicine - University of Swansea
- Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board - School of Medicine, Swansea University
- nanotechwire.com - Wales to host Europe's first Centre for NanoHealth
- - New Centres put health records at the heart of UK medical research
- [dead link]
- Swansea University School of Medicine (official site)
- Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board: School of Medicine, Swansea University