Swanton High School
|Swanton High School|
|601 North Main Street
Swanton, Ohio, (Fulton County) 43558
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Swanton Local School District|
|Principal||Jason Longbrake |
|Color(s)||Purple and White|
|Slogan||Be The Best|
|Athletic Director||Wade Haselman|
Swanton High School's grade levels span from 9th-12th. During the 2005-2006 school year the building consisted of 145 freshmen, 127 sophomores, 142 juniors, and 127 seniors, totalling 541 students altogether. 495 of those students were Caucasian while 9 were Black, 15 Hispanic, and 6 were of other races. The student to teacher ratio was 24.7 during 2005-2006. In the 2002-2003 school year Swanton High moved into its long overdue new school building.
Swanton High School's mascot is the Bulldog. Their colors are purple and white. They are members of the Northwest Ohio Athletic League while the boys soccer team also competes in the Northwest Ohio High School Soccer League. The current athletic director is Wade Haselman.
- Football: 1981, 1985*, 1989*, 1991, 1995, 2015*
- Boys Cross Country: 1981, 1982, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992
- Girls Cross Country: 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 2003
- Golf: 1992, 1993
- Girls Soccer: 2015, 2016
- Boys Basketball: 1963-64*, 1978–79, 1979–80, 1980-81*, 1981–82, 1987-88*, 2014-15*
- Girls Basketball: 1980-81*, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1984-85*, 1988-89*, 1990–91, 2006–07
- Wrestling: 1978-79, 1979-80*, 1980-81*, 1981–82, 1982-83*, 1985–86, 1986–87, 1990–91
- Baseball: 1965, 1966, 1983, 1984, 1989, 1990*
- Boys Track & Field: 1987, 1988*, 1989
- Girls Track & Field: 1979, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1992
Northern Border League championships (1969-1978)
- Football: 1975*, 1976
- Boys Cross Country: 1970, 1973, 1974
- Golf: 1969
- Wrestling: 1972-73, 1974–75, 1975–76, 1977-78
- Baseball: 1970*, 1972*
- Boys Track & Field: 1974
- Girls Track & Field: 1977, 1978
Note: shared league titles are denoted with an asterisk (*)
Swanton High School Marching Band is under the direction of Pamela Kazmierczack. They are a member of class "C" in the Ohio Music Education Association. The band has been very successful in the past few years in both concert band and marching band.
In the 2007–2008 school year the marching bulldogs went to state competition in Dayton, Ohio. Their colorguard received straight 1s for their ratings. A rating of one, meaning superior, is the best one can get out of 5. Also, in the 2008–2009 marching band season Swanton qualified for the OMEA Marching Band State Finals at their hosted contest called the "Bulldog Bowl". Also, Swanton High School qualified at Findlay and they also received straight 1's. The Swanton High School Concert Band has had a successful season with their contest pieces for the year. They went to districts in Sylvania, Ohio and got the best rating in their area. They went to state competition and got an overall one rating. Their rating included two ones and two twos.
In the 2009-2010 marching season, the Marching Bulldogs performed their marching show, Midnight Zoomania. Their songs included All Things Bright and Beautiful, Jungle Boogie, Insects, DOA, and finally a reprise of All Things Bright and Beautiful. The Band has qualified for state in Findlay, Ohio which will occur on April 30, 2010.[needs update]
In the 2010-2011 marching season, their show was "The Quest".
In the 2011-2012 marching season, the marching band's show was "And I Think To Myself..." which was composed of "It's a Small World", "Jambo", "Joy To The World", and "What A Wonderful World".
During the 2012-2013 marching season, "The Swanton High School Marching Band's" Show was "Epic Encounter" Which inclouded "Bounty Hunter" From the video game "Advent Rising", it also included "Jurassic Park Fantasy" and "Night on Bald Mountain". During the season the band participated in contests at Ottawa Glandorf, Perkins High School, Maumee High School, and at their own "Bulldog Bowl". At the Bulldog Bowl They received Straight I's qualifying them for State Marching Band Finals. They received a II at marching band finals in Brunswick Ohio.
The 2013-2014 marching season featured a show titled "Time of my Life" which was centered around a giant scrap book with photos of the band members, the songs were "Land of make believe" followed by "Seasons of Love" from the broadway musical "Rent" which transitioned into "Learn to Fly" by The Foo Fighters and closed with "I've Had The Time of My Life" from the movie Dirty Dancing. They participated in contest at Ottawa-Glandorf, Maumee, and Findlay along with their own. They qualified at Bulldog Bowl and participated at state finals in Brunswick again. This is the last show that Mrs. Kaz will be band director for being that she is retiring at the end of the 2013-2014 school year.
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (September 2015)|
- Rene Robinson - Detroit Pistons Dancer
- Nate Bolling - Wake Forest Demon Deacons football player and NASCAR jack man
- Fred Sturt - NFL Football player
- Emerson Cole - Member of 1950 NFL Champion Cleveland Browns
- Bernard Benton - Former WBC Cruiserweight Champion
- Paul Schudel - NCAA Football Coach
- Karl Koepfer - Former NFL football player
- Gary Jones - Costume designer and Academy Award Nominee
Notes and References
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.