Swanton Township, Lucas County, Ohio
|Swanton Township, Lucas County, Ohio|
Facilities at Toledo Express Airport
Location of Swanton Township in Lucas County
|• Total||22.1 sq mi (57.2 km2)|
|• Land||22.0 sq mi (57.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||676 ft (206 m)|
|• Density||136/sq mi (52.7/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086535|
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Harding Township - north
- Spencer Township - northeast
- Monclova Township - east
- Waterville Township - southeast
- Providence Township - south
- Swan Creek Township, Fulton County - west
- Fulton Township, Fulton County - northwest
A small part of the village of Swanton is located in northwestern Swanton Township.
Name and history
It is the only Swanton Township statewide.
On October 29, 1960, the Cal Poly football team plane crash occurred here, killing 22 of the 48 people on board.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Swanton township, Lucas County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 7, 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.