Swapan Kumar Chakravorty
Swapan Kumar Chakravorty (Bengali: স্বপন কুমার চক্রবর্তী) (born 29 July 1954) is Distinguished Professor in the Humanities, Presidency University, Kolkata. He has served as Professor of English, Jadavpur University, and Director General of the National Library of India, Kolkata, and Secretary and Curator of Victoria Memorial Hall, Kolkata.
An alumnus of Calcutta Boys' School, Presidency College, Kolkata and Jadavpur University, he obtained his D. Phil. from Oxford University. He joined the English Department at Jadavpur in 1985 and was Head from 2005 to 2007. He has also been Joint Director, School of Cultural Texts and Records.
Professor Chakravorty has also taught at the Ramakrishna Mission Residential College, the University of Calcutta and Universiti Malaya. His visiting assignments and lectures include those at the University of Alabama, Institute of English Studies at London University, and King's College, London. He has delivered the Hudson Strode Renaissance Lectures at the University of Alabama, Brajendranath Bandyopadhyay Memorial Lecture, Sunitikumar Chattopadhyay Memorial Lecture and Jitendranath Chakrabarti Memorial Lecture at Bangla Akademi, Kolkata, Shakti Chattopadhyay Memorial Lecture, Sukhalata Rao Memorial Lecture and Ranajay Karlekar Lecture at Jadavpur University, Kolkata, the Foundation Day Orations at Bangiya Sahitya Parishat and the Centre for Archaeological Research and Training, Eastern India, Kolkata, the first Sunil Gangopadhyay Memorial Lecture, the first Satyendra Prasanna Mukherjee Memorial Lecture, and Bhaskar Chakraborti Memorial Lecture in Kolkata, and the first Kabindranath Phukan Memorial Lecture at Gauhati University, Guwahati.
- Society and Politics in the Plays of Thomas Middleton (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1996).
- contributing editor of The Collected Works of Thomas Middleton (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 2007) and Thomas Middleton and Early Modern Textual Culture (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 2007). (General Editors: Gary Taylor et al.; awarded the distinguished Scholarly Edition Prize by the Modern Language Association, USA)
- (edited with Abhijit Gupta) Print Areas: Book History in India (New Delhi: Permanent Black, 2004) and Movable Type: Book History in India II (New Delhi: Permanent Black, 2008).
- (edited with Abhijit Gupta) Moveable Type: Book History in India (Ranikhet: Permanent Black, 2009)
- (edited with Abhijit Gupta) Founts of Knowledge: Book History in India (Hyderabad: Orient Blackswan, 2015)
- (with Tani Barlow and Suzana Milevska) Conversations with Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak (Kolkata: Seagull, 2006)
- Shakespeare (Kolkata: Papyrus, 1999)
- Bangalir ingreji sahityacharcha (Kolkata: Anustup, 2004)
- editor of Mudraner sanskriti o bangla boi (Kolkata: Ababhas, 2007). Awarded the Naransingha Dass Prize by the University of Delhi, 2010
- editor of Nameless Recognition: The Impact of Rabindranath Tagore on Other Indian Literatures (Kolkata: National Library, 2012)
||This article has an unclear citation style. Learn how and when to remove this template message) (November 2012) (|
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|