Swara Samrat festival
|Swara Samrat festival|
|Genre||Indian classical music|
|Dates||5–6 January 2013|
|Location(s)||Nazrul Mancha, Kolkata|
Swara Samrat Festival (SSF) was an Indian classical music concert which was organised at the Nazrul Mancha auditorium in the Indian city of Kolkata on 5–6 January 2013 by Shreeranjani, a cultural organisation headed by the Sarod maestro Pandit Tejendra Narayan Majumdar. The event was dedicated to The Immortal Duo - Swara Samrat Ali Akbar Khan and Bharat Ratna Ravi Shankar (who died on 11 December 2012). Artistes like Pandit Shivkumar Sharma, Pandit Birju Maharaj, Pandit Hari Prasad Chaurasia, Pandit Jasraj, Ustad Aashish Khan, Dr. Girija Devi, Pandit Swapan Chaudhuri and Ustad Zakir Hussain performed in this festival.
The two-day-long musical extravaganza was organized by Shreeranjani music organization and led by Indian sarod maestro Tejendra Narayan Majumdar. The festival was initially planned as an event to commemorate the 90th birth anniversary of Ali Akbar Khan. Ravi Shankar was informed about the event. But after the death of Ravi Shankar on 11 December 2012 the organisers decided to dedicate this program to the Sitar maestro too. Majumdar called this festival a dedication to "The Immortal Duo – Swara Samrat Ali Akbar Khan and Bharat Ratna Ravi Shankar."
In an interview, Indian sarod player Aashish Khan, (who was also a performer in this event) told that Tejendra Narayan Majumdar worked very hard to organise this musical festival and found it unfortunate that no one came forward to help Tejendra Narayan.
Some of most prominent classical musicians of India performed in this musical extravaganza.
- On 5 January 2013
Shivkumar Sharma (Santoor) performed with Anindo Chatterjee (Tabla), Birju Maharaj (Kathak) performed with Subhankar Banerjee (Tabla), Hari Prasad Chaurasia performed with Subhankar Banerjee (Tabla), Jasraj (vocal) performed with Ramkumar Mishra (Tabla).
- On 6 January 2013
- "Classical legends leave their mark". The Times of India. Jan 8, 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Swara Samrat festival". Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Annapurna Devi is heartbroken: Ustad Aashish Khan Debsharma". The Times of India. Jan 5, 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Swara Samrat Festival- Day 1". Times City. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Two masters and a tribute". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Shreeranjani". Tejendra Narayan Majumdar. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Event information at Anandabazar Parika (Bengali newspaper)". Anandabazar Patrika. Retrieved 9 January 2013.